PDA

View Full Version : What is the secret: Injector removal/replacement

neo
01-06-2007, 21:58
I am completely bewildered at how incredibly difficult it has been to remove and replace the injectors in my 6.2 J code engine. It is in a 2500 suburban (1989) and I struggled all evening and just barely got four removed and replaced (passenger side). I have been unable to find a deep well 30mm socket that will fit, and thus have had to use a off-set box end I have. All the 30 mm deep wells I could find were restricted at about 1-1/4" up, which does bad things to the return nipples. Can someone please give me some guidance on a good tool to remove these things? My arms look like hamburger. THanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
01-06-2007, 22:32
If you can't find a deep socket that is deep enough for the nipples, there's another trick. There was a time we didn't have "injector sockets" readily available. My first, back in 83 or so, I did with an end wrench. A real PITA. Next time, I took my deep 30mm socket and ground out a slot on each side of the socket to allow relief for the nipples. You can use either a drill, die or angle grinder to do it. It only needs to get the material out of the way for the nipples. You do have to be careful to position the socket right on the injector, though. Removing material from the socket won't degrade the strength much, and injector torque is way less than the capacity of the socket. Sure wish I knew where that old socket is now. I don't even have a 30mm deep now. I'll probably end up buying a Snap-On when I need one. Or not...

neo
01-07-2007, 06:57
Great suggestion. Thank you. I am going to try the autoparts stores today. You mention an "injector socket" is this something I can purchase somewhere? One other issue I keep running into is the clearance up/back there. The thickness of the socket I borrowed was too great to fit between the OD on the socket and still fit, the OD of the socket would interfere. Man my hands hurt today!
Thanks again!

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2007, 11:45
I has to be a thin wall to fit all heads. I don't know why, but some require it, some don't. Snap-On sells an "injector socket" that is designed specifically for these injectors. I don't know if anyone else does. It only has to work, though. We had a member some time ago that was fabricating sockets specifically for this application. It had a hex at the top, like a spark plug wrench, as well as the square drive hole. Similar to Snap-On, but quite a bit less expensive. ~$10, IIRC.

neo
01-07-2007, 20:27
Excellent info, thanks! I finally got er done!! I found a socket that worked perfectly, almost exactly as you described, thin wall and hex at the top. Found it at Advance Auto no less!! $13 and it was MINE! I did have to modify it slightly with the old die grinder. It necked down just a hair too much inside about 1-1/2" up or so and interfered with the return nipples. A little die grinder majic and it worked liek a charm. I had the d/s done in about 2 hours, even with R/R the a/c compressor! Fired her up and she started immediately, no air issues as I was expecting. Idled and ran SO much smoother. Man am I stoked. THank you very much for all the help.

john8662
01-08-2007, 10:45
Another socket I found worked the first time without modification is a deep Black impact socket in 30mm, the only hole it won't work well for is the back passenger #8 next to the a/c box.

But, the snap-on and a few others work well for that back hole.

murphyslaw
01-15-2007, 00:32
I have been using a 1-5/16ths deep well socket that is designed for removing oilpressure sending units and such. I dont recall who makes it I will have to look later.