PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather Diesel

bbtlr3
01-07-2007, 02:06
I'm new to the Diesel arena but just purchased my first Diesel. A 94 2500 Suburban. The truck is located in SLC Utah and my wife will be picking it up and driving it back to Boise, ID in a couple weeks as I am currently in Iraq. The temps between SLC and Boise have been in the low teens and into the 20's. My question is, should I have her pick up anything for the fuel due to the low temps or is the winter blend diesel enough?

Thanks,
Bill

Tough Guy
01-07-2007, 09:45
Winterized #2 pump grade fuel should be just fine.

Chris

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2007, 12:03
Question for you "cold country" regulars........

Which is better? Winterized #2, or straight #2 with an additive?

Living here in the banana belt, we don't worry about such things. However, I'm finding myself in cold country more and more often during winter. I do know that when I have used winterized, my mileage drops significantly, and using regular fuel with the additive doesn't change the mileage. For the sake of my argument, low temps can be around 0

Tough Guy
01-07-2007, 16:41
Question for you "cold country" regulars........

Which is better? Winterized #2, or straight #2 with an additive?

Around these parts stations only carry winterized fuel....Some stations sell off-road fuel (dyed) and your choice of #1 or 50/50 blend or winterized #2...The station I frequent runs winterized #2 and adds Power Service to the supply tanks. The sign on the pump says its okay to -40F I've never had a problem with their standard pump fuel, but it generally never gets colder than -20F during the coldest temerature drops.

I would prefer summer #2 and additive, mileage and power would be slightly improved from winterized #2.

Chris

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2007, 16:46
Thanks Chris

murphyslaw
01-07-2007, 18:04
Here all stations have a winterized blend. I have run it down to -48*F the truck still ran fine but I did notice that the transfer system didnt work right I think the switch gelled up or something. I was in temps of below -20*F for about 18hrs. after getting to where it was about -10*F the transfer system started working again. IDK now If i know I'm gonna be that cold I'll throw some winter grade standyne in the tanks just for safe keeping. I'd hate to be out in -40 and lower temps and have the truck decide it dosnt wanna chew diesel.

bbtlr3
01-08-2007, 01:25
Thanks guys, goood info.