PDA

View Full Version : Final OBD1 Tuning software Release

ECMProgrammer
01-07-2007, 22:07
I know there's been some interest in the OBD1 Tuning software package available for the 1994-1995 6.5 Turbo diesel ... and I'm going to explain the pricing schedule for this. We market the only software editing system with a product for the 6.5 turbo diesel.

$1299 includes not just the 6.5 Turbo Diesel--but 90% of everything that GM had in the early years--from the 1982 Corvette, the 1987-1995 TBI trucks, 1986-1992 TPI Camaros and Corvettes, but the 4 cyl, V6, V8 cars and trucks, too...This system also includes the 1994 and 1995 FLASH LT1 Camaro, Buick, Caprice, Impala and Corvette--and is an unlimited package with no tuning restraints.
If you're serious about tuning Chevrolet products--this is your software package.
Our OBD2 add-on for the 6.5TD is scheduled for release any day now--we're very close and is included in our OBD2 package.

Lyndon :cool:
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

Mark Rinker
01-08-2007, 07:33
Since you're aggressively advertising your products, I'll aggressively question your value statement:

1) Why would anyone but a serious, experience 'tuner' buy this package at this time, when proven off the shelf tunes for the 6.5 (this audience) can be had readily for 1/3 of the price?

2) How does this product compete with offerings from EFI-Live?

Thanks for answering these questions.

ECMProgrammer
01-08-2007, 21:20
Since you're aggressively advertising your products, I'll aggressively question your value statement:

1) Why would anyone but a serious, experience 'tuner' buy this package at this time, when proven off the shelf tunes for the 6.5 (this audience) can be had readily for 1/3 of the price?

2) How does this product compete with offerings from EFI-Live?

Thanks for answering these questions.

Answer to Marks question 1) It's entirely possible that someone might want to tune their own truck, trucks or fleet. They can get assistance directly from us to tune anything our software will tune 8:00AM to 6:00 PM MST and most evenings Monday to Friday. There were many proven tunes for the Duramax before EFI-Live was on the scene, and that didn't stop anyone from wanting to tune something.
We came out with a public release Duramax software last December, RT tuning (Prior to EFI-Live) and have many diesel shops using our software, realizing that no licenses was a huge savings for them, and our vehicle coverage was greater.

Answer to Marks question 2) EFI-Live has nothing for the 1982-1995 GM Products, let alone anything for the 6.5TD.

Yes, we're the little guys, but we actually operate from a known location and have a phone number !;)

Hope this helps...any more questions ?

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage (Since 1985)
1-888-WESTER-1

Mark Rinker
01-09-2007, 11:18
Thanks for the reply. Just for clarification - I am not an owner of EFI-Live, only an interested user of Chevy diesel trucks.

This is the OBDI product that I was hoping you would compare and contrast Wester's product to: http://www.efilive.com/overview_OBDI.aspx

Looks like your OBDI offering would make sense to someone that tunes, with multiple trucks of varying years. I get it now.

Where I see alot of opportunity is diesel truck owners that TOW with their trucks, want their warranty/transmission/pocketbook to remain intact, etc.
What this HUGE untapped market will buy on any given day is:

1) Better towing mileage. Smoother, selectable highway/unloaded and loaded/tow tunes with equal or better fuel mileage, equal/lower EGTs than OEM; (not asking for much, huh? :)

2) Better towing performance. Crisp and responsive shifts when empty or loaded;

3) Better fuel flexibility. Ability to add or convert to 'alternative' fuels if diesel climbs to record highs (again) this summer;

At present, the smaller market that is looking for race/performance tunes without regard for economy has the attention of most of the aftermarket. Every day many bone stock Chevy diesels drive down the road with work to do, campers/boats to haul, etc. and could be getting even BETTER mileage and more driver satisifaction through highly customized settings for their intended use and hobbies.

In short - a company that will sell and deliver products providing more economical power and flexibility when it comes to fuels. Getting more out of what you already own. Preserving hard parts, not replacing them or breaking them. Its a much bigger market than is buying today!!! Whomever can sell and SERVICE that market effectively will make alot of money over the longer haul, IMO, as the 'tuners' chase the lowest ET, or latest new trends in performance.

JohnC
01-09-2007, 17:27
It's a lot of money, but I probably would have bought it if it had come out when I still owned the '95...

ECMProgrammer
01-09-2007, 18:46
I understand the performance market, and the 'mileage' market. That's why we developed a tuning product that can achieve 'both' by the proper editing of the onboard 'prom' or 'memcal' in the GM vehicle.

EFI-Live's OBD1 product is a scan tool--by which you could monitor the changes made to the software via our OBD1Tuner (which is actual tuning software--not a scan tool). It'd be the perfect compliment to our package (especially if you don't own a scan tool).
Look for an OBD1 scan tool offering from us in the future...

If you wanted a 'cheap' editing product, it wouldn't have the features it does.
Total DTC lists and editing, fuel tables, trans shift tables, flash ready for the 1994-1995 LT1 (interface required), from Fieros and Firebirds, S10's to K3500's -- total editing is here...there is nothing else out there like it.;)

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

gmctd
01-09-2007, 19:30
Your software can edit the 'cal-pak', also?

sailun
01-11-2007, 08:54
Anybody have or know of a similar software product for my '97 OBDII vehicle, which would let me view everything passing thru my ECM, AND adjust my pump timing ? Or is the Tech scanner the only way ?

ECMProgrammer
01-11-2007, 09:15
Your software can edit the 'cal-pak', also?

I think we need to define things here:

Cal-Pak -- backup spark and fuel resistor chip
PROM -- Actual software for the engine/trans calibration
MEMCAL -- Contains Cal-Pak, Prom and Electronic spark control board.

1994-1995 6.5TD's are PROM based, not memcal -- no backup fuel strategies if the PROM fails.

Nobody can edit the Cal-Pak -- we edit the PROM contents, as this is the vehicle control software.

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

ECMProgrammer
01-11-2007, 09:16
Anybody have or know of a similar software product for my '97 OBDII vehicle, which would let me view everything passing thru my ECM, AND adjust my pump timing ? Or is the Tech scanner the only way ?

It's in the works for OBD2 1996-2002;)

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

gmctd
01-11-2007, 10:51
Terminology is important, agreed.

Specifically, if a manual trans eprom is installed in a 4L80E PCM, all will be functional until the first glitch, whereupon PCM announces great displeasure by flashing the SES indicator, and commences logging all the 4l80E DTC's.

Clear the PCM to restore manual trans operation, until the next upset.

I have both types PCM, and R&D is the name of the game - like jimmyswaggert allus sez, 'ya cain't preach it if ya ain't lived it!'

This would indicate a 'mem-cal pak' of some type is soldered to the pcb - close scrutiny does indeed reveal one chip with totally different part number and specsum for manual trans PCM and 4L80E PCM.

Appears to be a rom, thus, my query, eh?

TIA

ECMProgrammer
01-12-2007, 18:23
Terminology is important, agreed.

Specifically, if a manual trans eprom is installed in a 4L80E PCM, all will be functional until the first glitch, whereupon PCM announces great displeasure by flashing the SES indicator, and commences logging all the 4l80E DTC's.

Clear the PCM to restore manual trans operation, until the next upset.

I have both types PCM, and R&D is the name of the game - like jimmyswaggert allus sez, 'ya cain't preach it if ya ain't lived it!'

This would indicate a 'mem-cal pak' of some type is soldered to the pcb - close scrutiny does indeed reveal one chip with totally different part number and specsum for manual trans PCM and 4L80E PCM.

Appears to be a rom, thus, my query, eh?

TIA

Yes...you'll have one gear only, non functioning 4L80E with manual code in an automatic equipped diesel. You'd need to replace the PROM. The PCM should have the same service number for both auto or manual--which indicates all internal hardware is the same. These do not have a replaceable 'calpak' -- only the PROM is replaced--which contains all operating software. You could have a computer with updated internal hardware...

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

farmboy1989
01-12-2007, 22:52
Is there any chance of just having 6.5 diesels on a program as many people dont need the program for other vehicles and cant swing the cash for the entire program.

ECMProgrammer
01-15-2007, 10:29
What would you propose ?

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage

gherrell
01-16-2007, 19:01
What would you propose ?

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage

I think what he is suggesting is a "6.5TD" only version of this package, for those of us who don't want or need to tune our Camaro. I think that a "6.5TD Only" version could be sold readily for approximately $500 to $600 US.

Couldn't you limit the number of .bin files to only those that apply to 6.5's? That is the hard part (to me) about tuning these things anyway...

Thanks,

Clean your ducts in PA
01-16-2007, 21:27
could this software be used to modify the "fast idle" setting? I'm looking to get in the 1800-2000 rpm range when I run the PTO on my vac truck.

gmctd
01-16-2007, 23:25
Switch your fast idle on, then use the cruise control to increase engine rpm - the 3500HD's have that option.

Use the cruise switch or the brake pedal to return to idle, which also restores APP control.

Kennedy
01-17-2007, 15:10
could this software be used to modify the "fast idle" setting? I'm looking to get in the 1800-2000 rpm range when I run the PTO on my vac truck.

Actually, I believe that I came across this option when scrolling through the tables...

ECMProgrammer
01-17-2007, 21:41
Yes, not all calibrations have that option enabled. You can enable it in the software.

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage

ECMProgrammer
01-17-2007, 21:43
I think what he is suggesting is a "6.5TD" only version of this package, for those of us who don't want or need to tune our Camaro. I think that a "6.5TD Only" version could be sold readily for approximately $500 to $600 US.

Couldn't you limit the number of .bin files to only those that apply to 6.5's? That is the hard part (to me) about tuning these things anyway...

Thanks,

I'll consider that an possible option...we could probably make a version that you can 'add' to in the future.

Lyndon
www.ecmprogrammer.com
Westers Garage
1-888-WESTER-1

Slim shady
01-17-2007, 22:07
Would you be able to sell a file that could be used with a tuner program like EFI and Tuner Cat. Since you have already broke down the hex format and address to know which part of the addresses are information and which are program instructions.

Or do you have your own file format and program to read it that would not be compatible with the other programs out there. The Gas EFI guys have been doing that for years, some of their definition files run 80 dollars and the tuner program is sixty dollars if I remember right.

www.tunercat.com

www.moates.net

Slim

moondoggie
01-18-2007, 08:14
Good Day!

gmctd: "Switch your fast idle on, then use the cruise control to increase engine rpm - the 3500HD's have that option. Use the cruise switch or the brake pedal to return to idle, which also restores APP control." Does this work for us folks that have installed the high idle switch described on JK's site? Expand & clarify for us slow thinkers. (OK, so I'm the only one of those on the Page. :( )

Thanks & Blessings!

gmctd
01-18-2007, 21:17
That's only in the 3500 and 3500HD, Brian - can get that F chip from a dealer @~35 shekels - or can be added, as programmer indicated.

derekja
01-26-2007, 00:18
Lyndon,

Please do consider the stripped down version. I'm not a professional mechanic, I don't give a hoot about tuning anything other than my 1998 K3500 6.5 TD. Lock it one VIN if you want, even, but give me something at a reasonable price for personal use and I'd love to buy a copy.

Thanks,

--Derek