PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in oil?

kawijames
01-08-2007, 00:49
just acquired a free 6.2 out of an 82 c10. P.O said he was driving it and it just up and quit. so i go take a look at it and when you spin the motor over with no gp's in it it turns but there's fuel in the oil and the cdr system. so when i got to looking at it once it got home with me i saw there's Alot of fuel puddled under the ip.

here's the question: what would cause the fuel to get pumped into the block to the point that it filled the block(not cylinders) with fuel? is there a seal on the ip that keeps the fuel from entering the crankcase?

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2007, 01:21
Welcome to the Forums!

Sounds like the pump shaft seal has failed. Very rare, but it happens. The front of the pump has a gasket between the pump and rear of the timing cover. The gasket is kinda' passive, so you are probably getting the fuel in the valley from there after it has passed the shaft seal. The engine likely quit as soon as the pump housing pressure fell.

A pump rebuild/replacement should take care of it. If it wasn't ran for long, and ran well until it quit, the engine should be fine, internally. The inside of the engine should be nice and clean, as well. Be sure to flush the oil well before putting it on the road.

arveetek
01-08-2007, 09:30
Another possibility is that the mechanical fuel lift pump on the side of the block had failed, allowing fuel to leak past the drive arm and straight into the crankcase.

Casey

DmaxMaverick
01-08-2007, 13:29
Another possibility is that the mechanical fuel lift pump on the side of the block had failed, allowing fuel to leak past the drive arm and straight into the crankcase.

Casey

Definate possibility, but he has a "lot" of fuel in the valley. The mechanical fuel pump will pour fuel out the weep hole before it starts dumping into the crankcase. A LP leak large enough to fill the crankcase will syphon the tank dry overnight (been there...done that). Good idea to not rule it out, though.

kawijames
01-08-2007, 20:01
the motor ran better than most c code's that i've seen. with measly 3.08's it turned his rear tires into smoldering gumballs.:eek: well i'm looking into the new ip and lift pump just to be on the safe side....

on a side note: before i go galavanting off into ripping the ip off;i spun the motor over by hand and the line on the balancer is just past the hole at the timing mark plate.how do i figure out when its on cyl one?:confused:

john8662
01-09-2007, 11:48
the motor ran better than most c code's that i've seen. with measly 3.08's it turned his rear tires into smoldering gumballs.:eek: well i'm looking into the new ip and lift pump just to be on the safe side....

on a side note: before i go galavanting off into ripping the ip off;i spun the motor over by hand and the line on the balancer is just past the hole at the timing mark plate.how do i figure out when its on cyl one?:confused:

Don't worry about finding #1 cylinder at TDC like on a gasser.

Just remove the oil filler tube, then remove the intake injection lines and then throttle cable etc. Loosen pump flange bolts.

Within the oil fillter opening in the timing cover locate one of the drive bolts, remove it, then rotate the engine until you get to the next one, there are three total.

Then don't rotate the engine any more. Remove the injection pump from the timing cover and remove pump.

When installing the new pump, there is an alignment tab on the injection pump driveshaft, this will go into the oval hole (seen if you shine light from the other side).

Installation in reverse order as removal.

J

kawijames
01-09-2007, 22:47
thank you very much. i picked up the haynes diesel book but its useless( for the most part) and all data doesnt really show crap for such an early model. there was a bit about doing the static and dynamic timing on the motor after the ip was installed but nothing in depth for the 6.2.

I'm very very experienced in gassers but i'm a rookie on diesels.:o