PDA

View Full Version : Audi Q7 V12 TDI Concept

Mark Rinker
01-09-2007, 14:28
http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/media/580x348/32/3281dd481ed442bc8ec602f4a7094061.jpg

Looks alot like my wife's Chrysler Pacifica...with a great BIG grille (and a pricetage to match, I'm sure!)

baker2acre
01-15-2007, 08:16
Hey Mark,

If I remember... isn't the V12 in this "concept" just a de-tuned version of their R10 racer that just crushed LaMans?? I can't remember all the details... but I think somewhere like 650bhp in race form!!! Wonder how this tows!!! I doubt the concept it dealing 650... but it's cousin the Toureg's giving well over 300bhp from it's 5l V10...

I just read an article (I say read, but it was in.. Sweedish?? I read the pictures:D !!) about Peugots attempt to upstage the R10... they have there own V12 HDI screaming out over 700bhp!! The killer is it's all from 5.5l of displacement!! That's like 127hp/litre!! I wish my wifes TDI was giving that per litre... can you imagine 240hp in a Diesel Golf!!! :eek: Torque would be right around 400lb/ft!!! "Honey, I'm going to the store. Can I take your car??"

One other note... with the Toureg.... I read in the broshures and such that it's tow rated @ 7,500lbs regardless of engine. V6 gasser or V10 diesel! This would likely hold true with the Q7, not that we'd try pull the 5th wheel with it...:rolleyes: Just read that the V12 Q7's rated (so far) for 500hp and 738lb/ft of twist!! Maybe I will!!:D

Mark Rinker
01-15-2007, 14:41
Better get some BIG brakes.

I'd love to own one of these...maybe in a few years if I can find one used.

baker2acre
01-16-2007, 08:05
Yeah, I agree.... I said exactly the same thing when VW's Toureg came out.... My wife and I were looking @ our "future" '03 Golf TDI back at the end of '03 begining of '04 when the Touareg was coming out. We said, "we'll by the Golf, save some killer cash on fuel costs, wait for prices on an '04-'05 Touareg to come down, by then our family will have out grown the Golf and we'll be able to afford the SUV of SUV's".... NOT!!! :mad: Although we've managed to go full steam in the first two of the three stages (get killer mpg's and add 2 kids to the back seat, help!!) I'm still waiting for the price of an '04 to be less then my house!! Ebay's not always the best measure of market prices... but I've yet to see one under $50K!!!:eek: .... However, as an after thought, the V10 TDI variation had way more guts then sence (for me), had the adjustable air-bag suspension, leather & wood trimmmed everything. All nice things.... but not always practical for the "financially conscious!" :rolleyes: My how I wished they'd bring over the 2.5L I5 version they have over-seas. It's less expensive in all regards including mpg's which seeing the 20's with the V10 still is better then an Explorer!! :p
Seeing the Q7's coming in '08 with a 233hp-368lb/ft Diesel V6 is starting to get my mouth drooling again. Now I here that VW's finally bringing out a smaller suv, the Tiguan?
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/2006_los_angeles/0611_2008_volkswagen_tiguan/
with a 2L diesel in the pipes for '08 as well. Rated at 140hp-200lb/ft I think it will be frugal but have plenty on tap for pulling the boat and such. Hopefully pricing for either will be reasonable!!! PLEASE!!:D

baker2acre
02-02-2007, 06:49
Hey Mark... thought you might enjoy this:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C11553/

Seems Volvo's taking a different angle to the crossover market... can we say a series-hybrid diesel!!! Diesel engine+generator+batteries+elec.motors. Could calculate to some interesting outcomes. I think it will be fantastic for the diesels.... keeps rpm's right in the sweet spot and the electric motors make all it's torque from 1rpm up!!! What a novel idea.... better emmisions, another 20%+ gain in fuel economy.... even though diesel locomotives have been using this technology for decades!!!:rolleyes: Can you picture this setup in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup?!?!:D

Prestonia24
02-04-2007, 18:59
I was reading an article in road & track about the Q7 TDI, they were projecting the Q7 12cyl TDI will be somewhere in the 85k range, with a HP rating ~525 and torque near 700ft-lbs.

the Audi engineers project atleast 20mpg city, and a 0-60 of 5sec flat....

Can you imagine an AWD Diesel SUV pushing 7000lbs of steel down the road that fast?

That Q7 diesel would make a nice upgrade for my GFs Audi A4 Turbo (AWD), i'd definitely be jealous and "borrow" it on occasion...

I imagine that with some custom ECM tuning, you could bring the engine up another 100 hp or so.... give the 400+ hp Cayenne Turbo S some stiff competition for 40k less...