PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel holder part #J-44643

Rick Henderson
01-10-2007, 13:44
My water pump is leaking thru the weep hole in the bottom. I have 240,990 miles on the truck and engine. I need to do this myself, so I read that you need the J-44643 to make it easier.

Also, does someone know where to buy the water pumps new and not reman.? Besides the dealer.

Thanks,
Rick

77TransAm
01-11-2007, 03:38
Rick, if that tool is the same flywheel holder we always used on Duramax trucks, you have to pull the starter. The tool then fits into the starter hole and bolts in place using the starter bolts.

If you either can't find the tool, or don't want to spend the money for a one-time use, you can pull the starter and use a deep socket on a torque converter bolt instead. (If you use a shallow socket, there's a chance of dropping it down the hole, and if you do that, you'll be pulling the trans and the flexplate to get your socket back out.)

Either way - whether you use the right tool or the socket method - be careful removing the starter wiring. I seem to remember that the nut on the small wire going to the solenoid liked to turn the whole post and break off a section of the solenoid, necessitating the replacement of the starter (or the solenoid, if those are available separately). If you think there's a danger of that happening, you may be better off cutting that wire and either installing a male/female connector or a butt splice to put it back together.

Rick Henderson
01-11-2007, 12:38
Thank you for your help. I will be doing this myself so thats what I needed to hear. I was quoted 4.5 hours for the shop to remove and install at a local shop. The water pump remanufactured is like $330., ouch. I wonder who sells these the cheapest?

Oh, and yes this hopefully will be a one time tool use. I wonder if they rent this at Autozone? Most likely not.

Rick