PDA

View Full Version : still having problems

davidstereo
01-10-2007, 15:46
Hello,
I have replaced the ops, lift pump, fuel filter, and relay. The truck drives a whole lot better but I just feel like there should be more power. I still feel like the truck is not getting enough fuel when I stomp the gas pedal. Should these trucks peel out at all if you stomp it from a dead start? Had the local diesel injections place check turbo and fuel pressure and said all was good. The transmission may be the problem. Rebuilt 20,000 miles ago. Maybe I just need to upgrade to get more power. Just wanna make sure that nothing else is wrong so when I empty my bank account for new down pipe and marine injectors and exhaust and gauges I dont have something else fail. Just need to know if there is any way to check for other problems. Thanks again.

john8662
01-10-2007, 20:27
It's a big truck!

It won't likely peel out, especially if it's got the G80 limited slip in the rear end.

The 92-93's ran ok, but were turned down as far as turbo boost ~6psi.

A full set of gauges is in order before anything else!

The good about a '93 is that it's mechanical, and can be turned up without spending too much.

-Gauges (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp)
-Turbomaster Wastegate controller.
-Turn up the Fuel (inside the injection pump, it's adjustable).

Along with the above mentioned, you're already on the right track with renewed injectors and an exhaust system.

J

Mark Rinker
01-10-2007, 21:37
Before you take the next leap to upgrade power, you might drop the oil pan and inspect the webs for cracking. If you have a good one, add a girdle to strengthen the bottom end, and proceed. If you have hairline cracks, you might not continue on your 'quest for peel-outs'. :)

john8662
01-10-2007, 22:12
Before you take the next leap to upgrade power, you might drop the oil pan and inspect the webs for cracking. If you have a good one, add a girdle to strengthen the bottom end, and proceed. If you have hairline cracks, you might not continue on your 'quest for peel-outs'. :)

Rain on the Parade?

Nothing out of the ordinary here..

He just need to bump the boost up to 9psi like the rest of the 6.5's, or take it to 12psi max.

Fresh TD injectors, probably worth the effort, I wouldn't bother with marine for a stocker.

garre1tt
01-11-2007, 03:58
I have never burned a tire. Not that I have not tried. My expectations of a stock 6.5 were like yours, it should be more. I still loved the diesel for the torque and pulling.
I had two stock until I took the family on vacation to Yellow Stone. The short trip from Great Falls to West Yellow Stone was probably the worst I have ever had. Grade after grade running at less that 40MPH and all window open running the heater full to keep from over heating.
When I finally got on flat ground I had a head wind of about 30MPH that slowed me down to 45 max. Yellow Stone was great but the trip home was even worse when I lost the turbo.
That was the turning point, make it better or find something else.

I have been happy with all the mods I have put on both vehicles. I must qualify that statement. I have purchase some things twice. I will just say if they don

davidstereo
01-12-2007, 14:06
I am ordering the parts today. I am ordering the three inch downpipe, to go with my existing three inch exhaust may upgrade to 4" exhaust later, pyro, boost, and trans temp gauges and three pod pillar, I said marine injectors but they are performance injectors. Are the performance injectors worth the 450 dollars, they say 30 to 40 horsepower and 60 torque, or should I spend that money on something? I plan on ordering the parts from usdieselparts, not that matters. I also am ordering the wastegate controller. I guess I will have the shop turn up the fuel pressure but what will that do as far as gas mileage and wearing down engine faster? How do I find out if it has the limited slip rear end? Thanks, David

john8662
01-12-2007, 14:15
Just noticed in your signature that the pump and injectors have already been renewed.

I think you're set there.

I don't feel that the marine injectors will be necessary, I'd spend that cash on getting the complete exhaust system. The 3" downpipe alone won't grant you much if any improvement. The downpipes are pretty crunched on these trucks, but the rest of the system needs to be improved at the same time.

Install in this order.

Gauges
Exhaust system
Boost Controller (turbomaster, mechanical controller)
Turn up the injection pump slightly.

You may also consider upgrading your air filter to a uni-foam or equivalent (stay away from K&N - I know I'll get flamed, but that's my stance).

By turning up the fuel on the IP your fuel mileage may suffer slightly, but it's how you drive it, you may actually see an improvement in fuel economy due to the other upgraded components. Remember, on a diesel, it still take a given amount of fuel to do the same work. So, if you turn up the fuel on the IP, it's max output is increased, but it still uses the same amount of fuel (metered) to drive the same speed down the highway.

It's not like on a gasoline engine, where it simply runs rich when the higher amount of fuel is dumped down the intake...

Limited slip? In your glovebox there will be several "RPO" codes, look through them all for one that says "G80" if you find it, then you have the factory limited slip unit. If not, it's probably not likely to be equipped. Not many 93's were equipped come to find out.

Also, usdieselparts is a good place to buy these parts.

J

davidstereo
01-12-2007, 14:39
I actually just changed my signature. I already have a new three inch exhaust but old factory downpipe. Already have afe stage II intake, that helped give a little more power I'm sure I will see more with the downpipe replaced though. Also should I buy the performance injectors or spend the money on something else to get better performance. Thanks, for the help

john8662
01-12-2007, 16:41
Since the rest of your system is 3" (is it mandrel bent with performance muffler?) you could simply upgrade the downpipe and see a gain.

IMHO the 3.5" or better system is the way to go, but you'll have to deal with a little more rumble.

I'll let the others chime in on the injectors.

Seems as though $ has been spent on good injectors, might as well use them. The HO injectors if setup properly, will certainly help, don't really know if it's money well spent though. I hear good things about the Heath Injectors, using the 311 nozzles and a pop pressure similar to stock, easier on the injection system.

J

65TD
01-12-2007, 22:29
I used to burn my tires but I grew out of it.;)

Bnave95
01-13-2007, 03:58
I actually just changed my signature. I already have a new three inch exhaust but old factory downpipe. Already have afe stage II intake, that helped give a little more power I'm sure I will see more with the downpipe replaced though. Also should I buy the performance injectors or spend the money on something else to get better performance. Thanks, for the help
Your on the right track. Once you have your gauges installed than the Turbo Master would be the next step and Adj. boost to a max of 12lbs. Once you see and have a base line of what your EGT are then you can up your pump's fuel screw 1/4 turn and check the EGT base.Doing a search on DB2 Inj. pump will give you a good ideal on how to do this.
High flow/pop injectors are #1 in my book though thats me:D Worth the money and I don't think they weaken as much as stock.
Next a Intercooler is a good ideal though I'll put that in the power upgrade for towing where boost tend to stay in the 12-15lbs or even if your running alot of interstate miles with just truck alone and at 70mph you can run a steady 10psi of boost. The intercooler would be a good ideal.
Now if you want to burn tires with your truck than make sure you have a 4:10 rear and run really small tires;)

Patrick m.
01-13-2007, 08:06
since your injectors are new, save them for last.

Do what everyone suggests, but keep an eye out for a turbo upgrade.
at the very least find a good GM-8. Then drop the $1400.00 for the intercooler.

65TD
01-13-2007, 19:01
Just wanted to advise that if your willing to do your own thing on an charge air cooler you can do it for less than $400.

bcbigfoot
01-14-2007, 12:38
The previous owner really messed up by replaceing exhaust to 3" but not replacing the worst restriction the downpipe, My 93's downpipe was 50% crushed from factory. Also my 93 only had 4 psi boost so a turbo master will be in order but not without a boost gauge, just going to 8psi boost and new downpipe made a big difference on my truck. Don't increase fuel until you get a pyrometer. 65TD has a good point, think I will go that route.

davidstereo
01-16-2007, 15:28
For right now I am going to order the downpipe, turbo master and adjust to 9 p.s.i., and gauges, and turn up the fuel pressure a small amount. I will see how that does. I am not necessarily looking for peel outs just wondering if my truck should with everything stock, really just wondering if my truck had something wrong with it. Thanks for all the help. I'll let all of you know how happy or unhappy I am with the new upgrades once I get all of them done, I will probably need some help with some of them and may chime in in a week or two. If I am still not happy I will buy the injectors.
Thanks a lot, David