PDA

View Full Version : transmission problem??

ulhpilot
10-11-2003, 09:48
The first time this happened, I thought it was my imagination because I had just finished my graveyard shift and I was dead tired. Now I've experienced this numerous times more, although intermittently. When starting up the truck first thing in the morning (cold), while warming up at high idle (trans in park), I feel a slight rocking motion. It feels like if the trans was in gear and the TC is trying to move the truck, like a slipping clutch feeling. The fluid is dead on and after truck runs for a couple minutes, the rocking stops. No transmission problems to date. The trans is a 4L80E auto.

tanker
10-12-2003, 02:22
Are you sure its the transmission? When I have a cold start and don't let my glow plugs heat up long enough I get a rumble and some rocking, it seems like I only running on 7 cylinders, then it goes away. Just a suggestion. smile.gif

ulhpilot
10-12-2003, 04:31
Thanks for the reply, Tom. Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the trans. I know what you are talking about, sort of like when the plugs are cycling. I start my truck pretty much the same way every time, so I don't think it could be the glow plugs, unless I have one going bad, which could explain what you've suggested. This is different, like the truck is trying to take off. It doesn't do it every time, but is quite noticeable when it does. Since I made my original post, I've read a couple other threads where the ignition switch can cause trans problems. Could someone please explain this as I also have been having problems with my ignition switch not turning smoothly on occasion.

StephenA
10-12-2003, 04:51
Try chocking the front wheels, & raising the back just off the ground with a floor jack & seeing what happens in park and neutral. Park should be locked, but neutral should tell you if the tranny is trying to engage. My vote is glowplugs.
My ignition switch seems to work ok except that the radio stays on for 30 secords after the key is removed. Anyone know if this means the switch is going?
Isn't there an after market upgrade or relay configuration for this switch somewhere?