PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Cooler Lines

BigMikeO
01-11-2004, 06:31
Because of a mix up when I was replacing the Oil cooler lines in my truck I am now driving my truck without the Transmission cooler. I have stuck the 2 ends of the cooler lines together with a compression fitting. it does not appear to be having any problems with that fitting but the truck is loosing transmission fluid from somewhere. I am wondering if there is a way to remove the cooler lines all together and plug the holes they are removed from. I will be replacing the lines and putting the cooler back on this spring but, I just want to get the transmission to stop loosing fluid.

Thanks,
Mike

tanker
01-11-2004, 11:54
Don't do it Mike, you need the heat and the cooling both winter and summer. What you did is a way to hobble home. You say your loosing fluid? Then you should see leakage, or your not checking it hot on a level surface. Get the steel cooling lines repaired ASAP. Do not use brass compression fittings, they will leak!! :eek: Use hydraulic compression fittings made of steel. You should be able to get a set of good used lines from a salavge yard. Opps! I see your from New York, (salt rust snow) Do what ever to get them reinstalled. A 4l80E is not a cheap thing to repair or replace. smile.gif