PDA

View Full Version : It's finally time to plug in.. What do I need to know?

Shed
01-11-2007, 19:15
Hello my favorite Guru's of the diesel!

It has finally reached that time of year here in Iowa where it will be cold as a well diggers A%$, and I need to know about the do's and donts of plugging my baby in. I trust you all, so give it to me straight!

Is it o.k. to leave it plugged in for more than 4 hours?
How much is this truck pulling electrically?
Below what temp do YOU reccommend plugging in?

Thanks again everyone, you make this forum GREAT!:) :D :o

Mark Rinker
01-12-2007, 05:00
Hello from a former Iowa boy (from Beaver, Iowa of all places...)

- You could leave them plugged in 24x7 as they are thermostatically controlled, but obviously your heating element will fail quicker;

- Not sure on wattage of the Dmax heaters - search elsewhere on this forum I am sure its posted;

- I try to have all trucks and skidders plugged in when below 10 degrees, if they are likely to be used the following day. Just my opinion - no right answer here.

With the effective glow plugs and controllers on the DMax's and Bobcat S185 (Kubota diesels) its tempting to simply jump in and let them start in any weather - because they will start. Its all about wear and tear on the engine during those cold startups that remind me to 'make the rounds' and plug in the night of cold temperatures.

IDEA: Even more effective than a timer for plugging in, would be a timer AND a thermostat, combined. "...if the temperature falls below 10 degrees F, then turn on the power at 2AM..." You would still have to remember to have it plugged in, however!

cabletech
01-12-2007, 13:04
I use a timer set for about 3hrs before I leave for work. If the temp is way below zero I leave it on all night. If you buy a timer make sure its big enough for the current draw from the heater, most household timers can't handle the current draw.

Jay

mark45678
01-12-2007, 15:49
I have never plugged in the block heater on any of my GM diesel truck since 1993.... The duramax will start with not problems down to about -10F colder then that they still start but your pushing your luck ! If I had to plug it in below that temp I would go to Home Depo and get a timer that can handle 1500 watts and one hour just before you start it in the AM . Block heater cost money to run and I would only use it the bare min.... all night at 100% duty cycle is for the guys on the North slope in Alaska at -40F

EdHale
01-12-2007, 17:16
I plug my 06 LBZ in when it gets down in the 20's because it allows the heater to work faster and obviously is easier on the starter parts and moving parts in the engine. I would much rather spend a few extra cents on electricity than put any excess wear on the engine. I have a timer and set it for 3 hours before I plan to leave. Ed

Londell
01-12-2007, 21:36
I just plugged my 06 LLY in for the first time tonight. Over here in the central valley, Ca... its gonna get 17-20 degrees tonight. We're not use to this frigid weather in the central valley, I dont know how you guys in the midwest do it. I got a question maybe someone can answer. Where do you stow the cord at when not in use?

madmatt
01-13-2007, 06:31
It dosen't really hurt anything to plug'em in when it's warmer (over 20*F) out but be aware it may set a code even though nothings really wrong. As stated before I'd say plug it in only when nessecary, say 10-15*f or colder, and only run it as long as needed (2-3 hrs IMO). Any longer or warmer and you'll just be wasting electricty and shortning the life of you element.

Shed
01-14-2007, 08:33
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and opinions! I think I was "worried" about a minor thing! Looks like I may be pugged in for a few nights (with a timer!) as the "blizzard" approaches, we'll see how good these weather forecasters are... Stay safe, thanks again!

Shed

speeddrive1
01-14-2007, 16:10
I have left mine plugged in even when its 50degrees out and when you start it the temp is already at 170.