PDA

View Full Version : which would be the right choice for me?

clem_acc
01-12-2007, 18:42
I have already decided that the deemulsifying sp? method and would like some info on which of these would be right for me. I live in south carolina and have no need for anti gel stuff. i see three on fppf's site , total power(which many people have referenced here), fuel power (which seems not to contain any anti gel stuff), and lubricity 100%. they also seem to make a mixture of the lubricity and the fuel power. i will also probably be using a cetane booster. i just need a little help sorting through these with my climate in mind.

on another note, i mistakenly used mobil 1 15-50 on my first oil change (new to diesel and did the change before doing any research). do i need to panic and immediately change to the mobil 1 5-40 diesel or am i ok for a couple of k. after visiting 6 auto parts stores i finally found it today. was about to buy on ebay and get killed on shipping. oreilly's #2 had it there.

thanks again.

More Power
01-13-2007, 00:29
I had read several years ago that Mobil 1 syn oil would have qualified for the diesel API rating, but Mobil chose not to have it certified for the diesel. I've heard it's quite costly to API certify motor oil. So, I wouldn't worry about it. This time.... :)

Recommending a fuel additive is sure to bring some debate. GM "approves" of Stanadyne & Racor brand fuel additives because of their water demulsifying nature. However, I've used them and others in my GM diesels. I recommend using a mainstream fuel additive that can be found in your local area, that advertises a cetane improver, injector cleaner and that adds additional fuel lubricity. Except for the offbeat stuff, it's hard to go wrong with just about any commercial diesel fuel additive that you might find discussed here in TDP.

Jim