PDA

View Full Version : Boost Gauge Installed

Gapper_ca
06-30-2004, 06:17
Well finaly installed a boost gauge last night. now i noticed a few things when i did this. First was how oilly and dirty the intake was. not sure if this is normal but there as a thick layer of sludge built up on the upper intake and also on the EGR valve. the Lower intake was also cover with a layer of sludge. i have no idea why it is like that. could it be from having my EGR valve vacum line pluged off?

But the best is that i now know what my boost is. at 110kms (68mph) i am running about 4.5 to 5 lbs on th flat. under normal acceleration it will climb to 8 or 10. when it kicks down on a hill it will peak at 14-15 then settle at about 12 or so. this has been unloaded so not sure what it will be like when loaded or towing. still thinking of getting a Turbo Master. time will tell. one question tho, i want to hook up the light but not sure as to which wire to use, i want it to work with the lights. Thanks

MTTwister
06-30-2004, 07:01
On my '96 - I tapped into the fuse panel that's on the drivers side on the instrument panel, accessible with the door open. There's a fuse/connection that works with the instrument panel lights ( ie: dims..). I used a piggy back fuse connector from NAPA, but still had to file it down a little to get on the small leg of those fuses.

Second edit : re the oil - could be from the CDR valve dumping into the air intake, pre turbo. It might need a cleaning, swish some diesel fuel around in the CDR valve ( they're delicate) - I used Power Service additive when I was having problems on the road ( wasn't the CDR valve, but I was gropin for solutions..)

Gapper_ca
07-01-2004, 08:58
thanks for the tip on the NAPA part. works slick!!!

Shuck
07-01-2004, 09:23
Every time I use Power Service additive, it sets my SES light. Why is that?

panhead9
07-02-2004, 01:53
Gapper disable the egr system and this will take care of the sludging problem. I had same problem with my 94 all sludged up bad I installed heavy duty intake gaskets the ones with the metal plate over the exhaust holes then just plugged the egr vac line. Also this took care of smoking problem under hard acceleration.