PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Problem?

DaveNY
01-13-2007, 18:24
Checked Glowplugs and Found 2 Quick Heats failed after 8mos-replaced em.
Two new batteries. Liftpump checks out.
The truck starts good till around 40' then it cranks a little and starts,around 30' it cranks a little starts , rumbles a touch ,and a little white smoke. Co-workers truck parked next to mine same amount of time cracks right off like mine used to. I need a little attention, Im guessin maybe GP controller I have a little rust on the terminal closest to the driver side. The truck sort of feels like the GP's are working but just not hot enough?
Gonna get cold this week, Dave

a5150nut
01-13-2007, 23:24
Have you cleaned all the grounds? Checked the other end of the positive leads?

65TD
01-14-2007, 00:15
If you think it's not gonna start unplug the coolant temp sensor on the crossover to get it busted off.

Aside from the glow plugs controller and wiring maybe the timing is a bit retarded.

tommac95
01-14-2007, 21:54
Good advice above.
How about the fuel? do you add antigell? It shouldn't need it above 20*F , but a little additive seems to make a diff in starting...

rustyk
01-14-2007, 23:07
A block heater's good to use below about 35

DaveNY
01-15-2007, 16:57
Tommac 95, Im in the same neighbor hood as you (L.I.)and we are way to warm for starting problems so far! but this week is the end I fear and my truck starts like (for lack of a better explanation) all the GP's are working but just not hot enough.I have a set of KD quick heats in since March the engine usually starts up crisp but now it seems kinda sloppy? Its way to warm for that. I dont know if the controller can slowly deteriorate or it works or don't work. Kinda busy at work so I turned to you guys to whittle down the cause of my problem. The fuel is fine (500ppm) and has Stanadyne Blue winter additive. Filter is good and the lift pump is working(starts great when warm) two brand new batteries and did the terminal fix. The GP cycle is normal and you can hear them hitting on the after glow cycle. Im trying to avoid a GP cycle extender but thats what it feels like it needs?
Thanks Guys Dave