PDA

View Full Version : ULSD and cold weather

aloharovers
01-13-2007, 21:37
Anyone else noticed any issues with the new fuel and cold temps?

Its been 0 at night here for the past few nights and the fuel is totally gelled up. The 6.2 is a no start. I ended up having to stick an electric heater in the engine compartment and then covered it with a heavy blanket. Took about 4 4 hours to warm up enough to get the fuel flowing. I added some cold weather additive to the tank and let it run for a while and no problems now.
It so rarely gets below 20 here. A week ago it was in the 50s or 60s during the week and I didn't add anything when I filled up.

No problems the past couple winters. So just wondering if anyone else has noticed any issues with ULSD?

murphyslaw
01-15-2007, 00:41
I have run about 400 gallons of ULSD in my trucks so far this winter and the average temp has been about -2*F. I have yet to have any problems and have not been using any adatives.

More Power
01-15-2007, 12:32
It's been below zero the last few nights and about 12-15 during the day. I started my truck yesterday afternoon without it being plugged in. Started fine... I use PS at 9oz per 26 gallons, which does contain an anti-gel additive.

However, all on-road #2 diesel fuel is supposed to be blended with #1 in varying ratios during the winter to lower its Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP). It could be you got some straight #2.... :)

Jim

gvt
02-03-2007, 15:01
My truck gelled this morning about 1 block from home. I've been adding 8oz of FPPF Total Power at each fill since the ULSD hit the pumps. I got the truck going after placing a couple propane fishhouse heaters under it for a while. I'm not real impressed with this ULSD if it's going to gel this easy. I ran the truck at much colder temps in the past without any problems. At this point I'm just going to double the dose of FPPF until the really cold weather passes and keep my fingers crossed. I may also have to call the station where I filled last time!!!!

aloharovers
02-03-2007, 15:15
-9 when I got up yesterday morning, no start again.

cabletech
02-03-2007, 16:47
My truck gelled this morning about 1 block from home. I've been adding 8oz of FPPF Total Power at each fill since the ULSD hit the pumps. I got the truck going after placing a couple propane fishhouse heaters under it for a while. I'm not real impressed with this ULSD if it's going to gel this easy. I ran the truck at much colder temps in the past without any problems. At this point I'm just going to double the dose of FPPF until the really cold weather passes and keep my fingers crossed. I may also have to call the station where I filled last time!!!!

I think your problem is from the 2% biodiesel in MN, not the ULSD.

Jay

murphyslaw
02-03-2007, 19:29
I would question other stuff then the ulsd I run many many miles/hours/days/weeks/years in temps well below zero with no adatives and have yet to have a problem

gvt
02-05-2007, 12:29
When the fuel gelled the tank was about 2/3 full. I topped it off (where I usually buy fuel) and added some more FPPF. The fuel in the bowl now appears clear, when it gelled the fuel in the bowl appeared very cloudy. I did see two other diesel trucks standed on the side of the road this weekend!

More Power
02-05-2007, 12:46
The transition to ULSD is apparently creating a few issues with gelling in some markets as a result of incorrect winter blending. Here in Montana, we see 30/70 (30% #1 and 70% #2) during the late fall/early spring, and could see 50/50 during the coldest months. The coldest markets, like Fairbanks, AK can see straight #1 at times.

For what it's worth, I've never had a diesel gelling problem during any of the past 21 Montana winters. I've driven in temperatures as cold as -20F. Not fun... The pumps here are usually marked with the winter blend ratio. Aside from knowing what their blend is, buying fuel from higher volume stations helps to ensure you're getting the right blend for the moment. Buying fuel from a low volume fuel station could result in their fuel being months out of sync.

Jim

Tough Guy
02-06-2007, 11:09
A few weeks ago, when it was sub-zero temps here...I went to the station where I always fill-up to top off the tank in the Jeep before a ski trip, the pump wouldn't even pump the fuel...froze! What was funny was the sign taped to the pump indicated the Diesel fuel was good to -40F...:rolleyes: I add an entire small bottle of Power Service every time I fill-up and haven't had any trouble yet...***crosses fingers***

Chris

arveetek
02-06-2007, 11:31
The transition to ULSD is apparently creating a few issues with gelling in some markets as a result of incorrect winter blending. Here in Montana, we see 30/70 (30% #1 and 70% #2) during the late fall/early spring, and could see 50/50 during the coldest months. The coldest markets, like Fairbanks, AK can see straight #1 at times.

For what it's worth, I've never had a diesel gelling problem during any of the past 21 Montana winters.
Jim

I've had fuel gel twice in 12 years. The first time was around 5 years ago and I was running pump diesel when we had a sudden cold snap and I forgot to add any anti-gel additives. The second time was a couple of weeks ago, and I had a pump diesel/bio diesel blend of about B80. Temperature was only around 27 degrees, but it was enough for the bio to cloud up.

Part of my problem is that here in southern Missouri, we don't get blended fuel. It stays #2 all winter long. I guess it doesn't get cold enough to warrant the change.

Casey

ZZ
02-10-2007, 19:10
I was at my jobber's a couple of weeks ago talking about this. He read a flyer to me that said the ULSD gels faster than the previous fuels. I'm treating mine with PS. It's only got down to 16 here so far.

Idle_Chatter
02-10-2007, 19:34
ULSD has a higher cloud temperature than LSD. The local Flying J where I buy all my fuel has had signs up since the switch to ULSD saying: "We recommend you add anti-gel additive to your diesel fuel purchase in extremly cold weather. The cloud point of untreated ULSD is +10F"

Ramster21
06-12-2007, 23:11
I've had no problem this past winter, no 1 ULSD. -40 and colder, my truck is always parked outside and no problems starting.

No additives, other then what comes from the pump.
Hopefully things will get straighten out soon.

I do know that my mileage drops off, 2-3 MPG, due primarily to idling.
I like my truck warm. :D