PDA

View Full Version : Why Diesel?

ThumperTDC
01-14-2007, 04:55
I'm going to be in the market for a new truck here in a few months. It will be a used truck no more than hopefully 3 to 4 years old. At the moment I don't have anything to tow, but my wife would like to tow her parents goose neck horse trailer with the truck providing its a 3/4 or 1 ton. I would like to get a diesel truck, but I will have to wait and see how much we can afford or should I say how much my wife will let me spend.

My question is, for other than towing is it really worth it to own a diesel for everyday driver? You figure the price of fuel, servicing the rig, etc. I only live maybe 5 blocks or so from work, so if I did get a diesel I don't think it would make much sense to drive it to work on a regular basis just due to warm up time, the thing would be warming up in the driveway longer than it would take me to drive to work. Chances would be that it would maybe get 10k miles put on it in a year or so. Other than the possiblity of towing a 4 place horse trailer and some day a toy hauler type camp trailer would it be worth getting a diesel? I would probably be keeping this truck for more than 5 years if that matters any.

Second question. When looking at a used Diesel in the used range mentioned about, what would be considered high milage? I know the average person puts on about 15k miles a year, so the trucks in the year range I would be looking at getting would have roughly 45K to 60K miles. I know diesels can log more miles than a gas engine before having any issues, well than most gas engines, so would would you consider to be high. I would like to get a rig that I can afford with the lowest amount of miles as possible, I guess I am kinda anal like that.

Thanks,
Thump

Tough Guy
01-14-2007, 15:25
I'm going to be in the market for a new truck here in a few months. It will be a used truck no more than hopefully 3 to 4 years old. At the moment I don't have anything to tow, but my wife would like to tow her parents goose neck horse trailer with the truck providing its a 3/4 or 1 ton. I would like to get a diesel truck, but I will have to wait and see how much we can afford or should I say how much my wife will let me spend.

My question is, for other than towing is it really worth it to own a diesel for everyday driver? You figure the price of fuel, servicing the rig, etc. I only live maybe 5 blocks or so from work, so if I did get a diesel I don't think it would make much sense to drive it to work on a regular basis just due to warm up time, the thing would be warming up in the driveway longer than it would take me to drive to work. Chances would be that it would maybe get 10k miles put on it in a year or so. Other than the possiblity of towing a 4 place horse trailer and some day a toy hauler type camp trailer would it be worth getting a diesel? I would probably be keeping this truck for more than 5 years if that matters any.

Second question. When looking at a used Diesel in the used range mentioned about, what would be considered high milage? I know the average person puts on about 15k miles a year, so the trucks in the year range I would be looking at getting would have roughly 45K to 60K miles. I know diesels can log more miles than a gas engine before having any issues, well than most gas engines, so would would you consider to be high. I would like to get a rig that I can afford with the lowest amount of miles as possible, I guess I am kinda anal like that.

Thanks,
Thump

I have owned 4 Diesel powered vehicles over the years, I love their characteristics. I drive alot and need an engine to last, My Ford currently has 184,000 miles and I will prolly drive it for another 120,000 or so. The fuel mileage is better overall, towing and empty...although Diesel/Gas cost differentials can make that a wash.

Maintenance costs are not too bad, I go 6000 miles between changes in my truck, my Diesel powered (2.8L TD) Jeep is 10,000 miles between changes. Fuel filters need changed every 10-20,000 miles depending on fuel quality. everything else is the same as a gas powered vehicle.

If you buy a Diesel truck thats 3-4 years old with 45-60,000 miles the engine will still be under warranty, all three brands offer 5 year/100,000 mile coverage with a small deductible.

Driving a Diesel is fun, power and aftermarket performance upgrades make it even better. For as little as $400 you can add 100 rear wheel horsepower to your truck.....it will take thousands to reach that level with a gasser.

Ultimately, you will be happy with either, you are the one writing the check....

Good Luck,

Chris

mschuyler
01-14-2007, 16:23
You can go both ways on this.

1. If you are the type that gets out a calculator to study whether a diesel is cost effective, you'll have a difficult time doing it. You can't possibly get all the variables right because they will change in an unknowable future. Using spreadsheets gives you a false sense of accuracy. Will diesel go up or down in relation to gas? It's been on both sides now. We just can't tell for sure. The extra cost on a NEW vehicle (not exactly what you asked) means it is even less easy to justify at what? $8K or so more. Using this methodology, the answer is, "No."

2. If you're going to tow something big, it's the only game in town. Think a large 5th wheel on hills. It's not gonna happen with a Ranger! :-) Using this methodology, the answer is, "Yes."

3. What if the cost of petroleum goes up? A no-brainer, most would say, and should count for both gas and diesel. However, a diesel can run bio-diesel. IF we had another gas crisis (Does anyone remember 1973-1974?) and IF you had a diesel, and IF not very many other people did who would compete with you, then you could be on the road when they were out of fuel. You can even make it and store it yourself.

It is this third alternative that is motivating me to get a Duramax this year. I have a local outlet for bio diesel 3 miles away. I'm not exactly in the "survivalist" category, but I do worry about stuff like that. I MAY want to tow large stuff in the future. I simply cannot justify it financially, but, frankly, I don't have to.

There is the 'bad ass' factor, but, you know, that shouldn't count. It REALLY shouldn't. Nope. Not really. Poor excuse. A mature person wouldn't even consider this factor. It's juvenile. But they are cool.

Tough Guy
01-14-2007, 17:05
I knew I forgot something......the "bad ass" factor. :) and it counts...

Chris

robertb6963
01-14-2007, 17:36
15k miles a year? Is that really average? Cause it seems low, and I would think it would be kinda hard to find a 3/4 year old diesel with 60k. My family puts on about 30k-50k a year, each.

What brand of truck are you going with?

ThumperTDC
01-15-2007, 00:27
15k miles a year? Is that really average? Cause it seems low, and I would think it would be kinda hard to find a 3/4 year old diesel with 60k. My family puts on about 30k-50k a year, each.

What brand of truck are you going with?

Trying not to speak too loudly, but I think my signature kinda gives you a hint at what I am looking at getting. Right now its looking more like I am gonna be able to get a diesel. What I would like to get is an 03 to current Dodge cummins with a 6 speed manual tranny. I love the Duramax and have been a die hard GM fan since I was a kid, but I really dig the looks of the new Dodges.

As far as milage, the 15K was something I had heard a few years back. I know I would probably fall in the 12k a year catagory. Out here in the Northwest, you can find some diesel trucks that have low milage, ya just have to know where to look.

n3pro
01-15-2007, 19:15
I think many of us pondered this, part of the reason some of us (me) are here. If you do a lot of miles or tow a lot of weight it's a no brainer but like me I don't drive the miles or haul the weight so it's a tough decsion. I like diesel but can't justify the cost when it would be hauling a few hundred pounds of tools 95% of the time.

Value is in the beholder, some people justify a 350,000 Bently! If you want it who care about anything else - life is short have fun!:D

Dakster
01-18-2007, 18:37
Just my .02 since I've owned both gassers and diesels. Maybe this will help. I just went from a Diesel to a gas. (Chevy doesn't have a diesel SUV anymore so I was stuck) I am in the drive 10,000 miles or less a year club. I primarily put my miles on during vacations. My wife's 4 year old car has 33k on the odometer as well... We don't have far to drive to work or to our kids schools.

IMHO, As far as cost, the diesel if only moderatley or less driven will be more $$. However, I am the type of person that trades out every 2-3 years, so I never have a completely paid off vehicle. I don't like repair bill surprises. A diesel can bring a host of unexpected high repair bills than gassers. Example, Injectors and fuel pumps are a lot more money on the diesel.

Performance wise, no comparison go with the diesel. I really miss the power of a diesel, which I will regain once I get a truck to go along with the 2007 Suburban. I personally, would not want to tow your horse trailer with my 2500 suburban, I'd bet I'd get well under 10 mpg doing it. Whereas, with a diesel plenty of power and better mileage.

If money wasn't tight or that much of an issue, I'd go with the Diesel. I am not even going to look at a Gas truck. (I left out some other reasons already mentioned)

robertb6963
01-18-2007, 20:26
Trying not to speak too loudly, but I think my signature kinda gives you a hint at what I am looking at getting. Right now its looking more like I am gonna be able to get a diesel. What I would like to get is an 03 to current Dodge cummins with a 6 speed manual tranny. I love the Duramax and have been a die hard GM fan since I was a kid, but I really dig the looks of the new Dodges.

So you like the new body style huh? I think your making a great desison with the cummins/6-spd. My friend bought an 07 cummins/6-speed and yea i was real jealous! But come to find out the truck redlines an about 100mph I think it was. I guess its not that big of a deal but I never thought about it before hand. He put a chip in it at 5k miles and now it can spin 'em thru 4th gear, but the clutch spins at full throttle in 5th and 6th gear(He is at about 6500miles now). Anyways they got the power. He gets about 16mpg w/o the chip and another friend of mine with an 05cummins/auto gets about 20-22mpg w/o his chip in. Anyhow, good luck I think you'll be really happy with your new truck!

ThumperTDC
01-18-2007, 20:50
If I sit back and look at everything, I really don't have a need for the diesel, but Ever since my Dad got his 03 GMC duramax and chipped it I was hooked on the power. That thing is more like my 71 GMC 1/2 with a built 350 as far as power, and hooked to a larger trailer still has the same feel. For 6 years i worked for the State forestry as a firefighter, most of that time was spent on a 94 F350 turbo diesel with a 5 speed manual tranny, loaded with 200 gallons of water. That thing for being stock was a pretty good rig to drive around, that thing wheeled pretty good on fires as well :D. Currently at work we rotate who drives, but when I am driving the fire engines, I get to drive a 40K rig with a 450 hp detroit in it, those things scoot.

After striking up a deal with the inlaws ;) it is looking like I will be getting a diesel. But after searching around I will more than likely end up with an auto, all the used 6 speeds I have found have alot more miles than what I am looking for. Now if I could only make time fly quicker, this damn waiting for spring is killin me :D