PDA

View Full Version : Boatload o' codes!

d350diesel
01-14-2007, 08:33
The SES light came on yesterday while the truck was running so I figured I'd pull the codes. I got plenty - 11 of them. :eek:

The truck starts OK but wants to die at idle at first. There is a fuel leak I need to find and fix, I'm going to get O-rings for the fuel manager on Monday and pull that off. A new OPS will be going in at the same time.

Can anybody clue me in on what all those codes mean?

65TD
01-14-2007, 09:13
OK Skipper,

You got some wires to check there..

Your 5 volt circuit is shorted. Some wires could be rubbing somewhere.

Check the harness from PCM through the firewall in the engine bay and down to the transmission.

d350diesel
01-14-2007, 15:17
Thanks. :) A chafed wiring harness makes a lot of sense to me, given what happened today. I drove it to work today (didn't have to be there at a specific time, just had to be there). It started fine, stalled once on a steep grade about 2 minutes after I started it, refired after 3 tries, and ran beautifully the rest of the day. If there was a bad part, I'd expect constant symptoms, but a chafed harness making intermittent contact explains everything nicely.

Still got the fuel leak, gotta get the o-rings for the WIF sensor and fuel heater from the dealer. Still gonna replace the OPS while the fuel manager is out.

tommac95
01-14-2007, 22:04
Loose ground connection , as at stud by trans dipstick on rear psgr head , also explains. Clean all batt/gnd connections.

Consider a relay to preserve points in OPS.

Also , esp model year '95:
if the ignition switch original , consider renewal. It , like gnds , will impact many circuits.

d350diesel
01-15-2007, 19:19
Thanks, I have relays laying around and know how to use them. ;)

I will pick up an ignition switch and swap it out ASAP. This truck has gotta be reliable even though it's my second vehicle. The ol' Dodge is worthless in the snow. 2wd dually + ferramic clutch + Cummins torque means it won't start on a hill. You can't slip the clutch (too grabby), and you can't bog the motor so the tires just churn at idle as you slide backward down the hill. :rolleyes: It's lots of fun when the road is dry though! :D