PDA

View Full Version : Frnt brakes on 1ton

Dvldog 8793
01-11-2004, 12:44
Howdy
As soon as I get my shop in order(fire) I'm going to be doing my Frnt brakes and other things. If anyone has any hints or info on doing the brakes on a 1999 1ton (old Body style) 4x4 I would really appreciate it!
Thanks !
Conley

JoeyD
01-11-2004, 17:24
It's a good time to flush the fluid.

GARY PAGE
01-11-2004, 19:08
Brake hoses can cause the truck to pull to one side. Yours is pretty new but if you are experiencing pulling to one side it may be worth investing in new ones.

tom.mcinerney
01-11-2004, 21:07
Be careful of the ABS wire; 'search' for posts if need remove hub; if replace lug-studs(?) can use reversed lugnuts with lubed washers behind to pull thru the studs. I got bad quality studs from NAPA; might look over the splines carefully, consider OEM.

cruzer
01-12-2004, 11:37
If your not going to change brake fluid then break bleeders open and push piston back
in the retighten. Do not force old fliud back thru system.

S\W Off Road
01-12-2004, 14:47
Keep a fire extingisher handy.

Dvldog 8793
01-12-2004, 16:48
OK S/W, Is this just a general good rule to follow in light of my recent shop fire?(welding shop/business, LOTS of fire mostly controlled! :D ) OR is there some secret use use of a fire extinguisher for brake jobs? Maybe to put the truck out after i get mad enough to set it on fire! :D
I will be flushing the entire system and also putting on new calipers, SS brake lines, and cross drilled rotors. I'll be using 100% synthetic street use fluid. All the suggestions are GREAT!!!!!! Thanks again!!!
Conley Janssen

S\W Off Road
01-12-2004, 16:52
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
OK S/W, Is this just a general good rule to follow in light of my recent shop fire?(welding shop/business, LOTS of fire mostly controlled! :D ) OR is there some secret use use of a fire extinguisher for brake jobs? Maybe to put the truck out after i get mad enough to set it on fire! :D
Made me laugh! :D

Dvldog 8793
01-15-2004, 18:08
What a way to start a brake job. I got the parts today and not only were they ALL wrong but they sent two different wrong rotors! :rolleyes: :mad: GO FIGURE!! Anyways the guy said that he just ASSUMED that a crew cab and an extended cab would be the same. I won't publicly slam the company,YET. They are being very helpful after they screwed up.
But what the he** it frees up my weekend! :D
Thanks for all the advice!
L8r
Conley