PDA

View Full Version : Please Help-You guys are great!-2004LLY Problem

rkassl
01-15-2007, 17:19
Was on the second day of trip this weekend, no problems first day. All of a suddend on day two while crusing at 60 mph, engine bucked and could do no more than 25 mph. Pulled over at the next gas station and shut it off. Started it up and seemed ok. Filled up with winter blend diesel, and was able to maintain about 60mph. Sometimes it would cut out on acceleration and I would pull over till it recovered and move on. Limped home. Took to dealer and they took me right in. They said it was a plugged fuel filter?? Is this possible? How do they diagnose this? I take wonderful are of my D/A because I tow a 12000 lb Montana 5th wheeler.

This filter is about 10 months old. I do my own oil and external tranny filter. Can I do my own fuel filter? You guys are the experts! Please help and advise.

Your diesel friend,
Bob

jbplock
01-15-2007, 17:52
Bob,

Judging from your symptoms and the fact you were on a trip away from home you may have picked up some bad fuel. Changing the fuel filter would be the place to start and easy to do yourself. For instructions see the following link in the member's area ...

Duramax Fuel Filter Replacement (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/dmaxfuelfilt.htm)

Current AC Delco Fuel Filter P/N is TP1298B

:)

More Power
01-15-2007, 18:13
Your GM dealer may have tested the system using a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge at the fuel system test port (near your alternator). If the vacuum is more than 5" at idle, the filter should be replaced. You can read more about this type of fuel gauge here (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm).

Now, this could be due to extremely cold temperatures and improperly blended diesel fuel, which could gell when cold enough. However, your fuel filter assy incorporates a fuel heater that automatically activates when it senses temps below +20 F (which is the gell temp of summer #2) or below.

Jim

Kennedy
01-16-2007, 11:55
How many miles in 10 months? I'd be looking at the fuel filter as my #1 suspect. 15k max interval is GM recommendation. I see them load in far less miles depending on fuel quality.

Always carry a spare (or two) fuel filter and the tools to change it on the road. I carry both my WIF sensor wrench and Craftsman rubber strap wrench right in the case with my restriction gauge when I travel. I do my own filter service and can generally remove the filter without tools, but I carry them just in case. Teh WIF sensor definitely requires tools...