PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Rusting tight

BigMikeO
04-22-2004, 17:33
I don't drive my truck all that much, sometimes it's only once in a month. Well today I went to drive away in it and the truck wouldn't move. I thought the transmission wasn't engaging, but I could feel the engine bog down a little when putting it into gear. I think the brakes were rusted tight. I had to put it into 1st gear and 4wd Low and after a bit of work I got it to move. I had to drive around the block breaking frequently just so I could coast without stopping. I have had some issues simillar to this before but never this bad. :(

Is there anyway that I could prevent this in the future. FYI: I Always engage the parking break, I don't know if that is causing it or not.

a5150nut
04-22-2004, 19:57
Drum brakes work better going forward. On heavy equipment with sticking brakes we back up a little to release them.

whatnot
04-22-2004, 20:04
If the parking brake cable rust while engaged then they won't release.
I sometimes don't drive my '93 for over a month and never had any trouble like that.
If it is going to sit so long, couldn't you block the wheels and leave tha parking brake off?

BigMikeO
04-23-2004, 03:09
Originally posted by a5150nut:
Drum brakes work better going forward. On heavy equipment with sticking brakes we back up a little to release them. That makes alot of sence. Usually I pull the truck right into the truck and sometimes it would be hard to get started, but I was reversing out of the garage. I had backed the truck into the garage the last time so yesterday I was going forward out of the garage... Thanks, I'll be pulling straight into the garage from now on.

ttpost
04-23-2004, 07:08
uhmmm do you have a dog or other animals in the garage, my truck has sat for months and the brakes never locked up,and i live in a moist climate, pet urine is very corrosive and causes things to rust up fast, learned this the hard way, anyway just food for thought :rolleyes:

MTTwister
04-23-2004, 11:21
Quote - "uhmmm do you have a dog or other animals in the garage, my truck has sat for months and the brakes never locked up,and i live in a moist climate, pet urine is very corrosive and causes things to rust up fast, learned this the hard way, anyway just food for thought "

It will also seep through the ground and eat the insulation off of an underground buried 12-2 w/ ground, eat the insulation off the 12-2's, and rot the copper wire. Don't ask me how I know! Damn Dog..

BigMikeO
04-23-2004, 13:55
I Don't have a dog, but I do how ever have a standing water issue in my garage after it rains...

tom.mcinerney
04-23-2004, 16:57
A mist/film of road salt will suck moisture out of the air in an environment that is anything but desert-dry, maintaining a nearly-perpetual corrosion cell.

cheese
04-24-2004, 05:15
If you look at the passinger side rear brake cable you will notice that the cable is attached to the differental housing. I makes a very sharp turn at that point. With any rust there it will stick. I took mine and removed it from that mounting point, put a spring to the frame and made it a strighter shot to the drum. Also helped by releasing the parking brake then roll forward a bit then reapply the parking brake then release it. When I do my brake job this summer I will lube the cable.

C.K. Piquup
04-26-2004, 08:03
I don`t know exactly why this is,but,when rear axle seals are leaking they grab,mostly when wet.Is your 2500 an HD with full-floating rear?With this condition(oil contaminated shoes),driving when wet causes wheel lock-up and sticking parking brakes.