PDA

View Full Version : Cd player problems

MaxACL
01-15-2007, 20:45
My CD player wont work anymore. I've disconnected the batteries, pulled fuses and sprinkled Crows feet dust on the hood... nothing helped. The radio works fine but there's no "intelligence" control, except the off button. If I go the junk yard and buy a replacement, any idea what it will cost and will a radio from an '05 or 06 fit? My buggy's an '02.

Help

Mike

More Power
01-15-2007, 21:54
I don't know if the newer radio/CD players would work. It's possible the newer systems would, but I don't know if the 2003+ versions with the steering wheel controls incorporated any differences with the electrical connectors or not.

I paid $150 for a radio/CD player through a salvage yard a couple of years ago when I needed one for Lil Red. If I'd had more time, I might have been able to pick one up through eBay or another member here in the board who had upgraded with an aftermarket stereo. I was too impatient. :D

Jim

cowboywildbill
01-16-2007, 06:50
I was under the impression that a radio out of a different GM vehicle wouldn't work in another because of the security VIN code. Anti theft thing. Is there a way to get around that?

silverback
01-16-2007, 09:59
I just had mine replaced because it wouldn't eject anymore. In fact a brand new Christmas CD was stuck in it. The bad unit was returned as a core parts replacement and they actually sent the CD back to me via the service department with only minor wear. During the troubleshooting phase my service adviser had the big shop "flash" programmer out to try and reset it. I was worried that he reset my ECU programming back to stock but he just laughed at me and said no. Bottom line is they have a known problem with the CD units and won't warranty repair. Be a long time before I trust the player again.

rob from bc canada
01-16-2007, 17:50
Had mine replaced also because it would not play after about 10k one year.
I just can't drive without one of my favorite country or Celtic CD's aplayin'. Mine spat them out OK, just wouldn't suck in a new one.

Procedure, bring in truck so they could read security code, should take 10 minutes right? Wait 1/2 hour while flunky washes truck, go home, wait two weeks.

New player arrives with matching security code, bring in truck, get free ride home.

Get picked up again in afternoon, flunky has washed truck, new player installed, works good. Good part, paid no money.

Now have near 20k on it, so must be about due again, hope not!!!

MikeyB
01-17-2007, 14:09
Mine crapped out after the warranty. Try Radiosandmore.com on the web. They have replacement GM units. They'll probably have what you are looking for.

Mike

maverick_935
04-11-2009, 16:57
Is it worth getting the reman unit? Have they fixed the problems or are they still a piece of crap?

Aftermarket radio about $200, the harness to connect to my 05 gmc is $150.

It is a choice of which will last longer. The price is about the same and I only get my steering wheel controls with the gm one.

NutNbutGMC
04-11-2009, 17:44
Is it worth getting the reman unit? Have they fixed the problems or are they still a piece of crap?

Aftermarket radio about $200, the harness to connect to my 05 gmc is $150.

It is a choice of which will last longer. The price is about the same and I only get my steering wheel controls with the gm one.
There are adaptors available to match aftermarket head units to the steering wheel controls.

WhiteTruck
04-11-2009, 20:12
The '03 and newer radios won't work in your truck. They redesigned the electrical system on '03 and newer and the radio is programmed to the specific cab/speaker configuration and also reads the VIN for the security feature. The radio in your truck has the security done by the code you enter yourself, if you choose to use it. They generally had fewer CD problems than the newer trucks, but unfortunately you had to have one that failed.

maverick_935
04-12-2009, 08:53
Question is: Do I get a refurbished unit from GM for $350+ or do I spend the money on the aftermarket?

I know I can bypass the gm system but it all costs money.(lots)

Are the gm units fixed or am I wasting money?

DennisG01
04-15-2009, 11:42
Well, I'll answer it this way. I bought an aftermarket, 7" touch screen slide-out LCD with DVD player, rear outputs, camera input, IPod connector, nav & sat ready, etc, etc. for about $500. You can get more basic touch-screens for less.