PDA

View Full Version : Can an IP pump gear "jump" during changeover?

rameye
01-16-2007, 08:18
Still working on an outstanding issue with my vehicle. I have just about eliminated all causes.

Question: Can the gear jump during a changeover??

I have been manipulating the gear...it sure doesnt seem possible.

Thanks

65TD
01-16-2007, 08:26
Not sure what you have changed.

If you had the timing cover off the crank and cam gear have alignment marks on them that are aligned for cam timing.

The same alignment mark on the cam is aligned with the pump gear alignment mark when it is installed.

The pin lines up in the hole on the gear.

rameye
01-16-2007, 08:38
sorry for the confusion...

In clarification:

I'm talking doing a changeover without removing the gear cover, simple thru the oil fill hole, remove the bolts changeover..

65TD
01-16-2007, 08:48
Just make sure the pin lines up with the slotted hole in the gear.

rameye
01-16-2007, 09:35
Thanks for the reply... I understand the procedure..I've changed out a couple..

The question remains...during a changeover can the gear jump?

It appears I may have a pump timing issue. Its an odd situation..

Thanks again...

Cowracer
01-16-2007, 11:07
Thanks for the reply... I understand the procedure..I've changed out a couple..

The question remains...during a changeover can the gear jump?

It appears I may have a pump timing issue. Its an odd situation..

Thanks again...

I dont think its possible. There isnt enough room for the gear to move up and come out of mesh. But that being said, I wouldnt get too carried away, just in case.

It is FAR easier to get a couple of the injector lines crossed, though. That would sure as hell look like a timing issue.

Tim

rameye
01-16-2007, 14:34
Thanks cowracer...I had nothing to lose by manipulating the gear...cant make it not run any worse.

I didnt think it was possible..I never heard of it happening....just ruling out all possibilities.

I checked the firing order..dead on....pump timing...dead on...pump going back to re-builder for a re-check. If the pump checks out, I'll have to crack open the gear cover and verify valve/pump timing...running out of possibilities.

Sure ran fine before I sent the IP out!

Thanks

65TD
01-16-2007, 21:06
Agreed, It would not be possible.

Kennedy
01-17-2007, 15:08
We sometimes see the keys partly shear when guys bump the engine over with the starter. Could be pump or drive gear key...

rameye
01-17-2007, 16:47
Thanks JK...

it's going back to the rebuilder...he's an advertiser and is backing his work..I guess if the pump checks out Ok...I'm gonna have to crack the cover and verify this is not a timing issue, after that I dunno.

BTW the engine was only turned over by hand during the R&R..

I'll post my outcome when it's all over, cause this is such a brain-bender.

65TD
01-17-2007, 20:28
SES light working like it should? WTS light?

Everything hooked up?