PDA

View Full Version : Help installing a brake box...

Gobbledot
01-16-2007, 22:37
I have a 07 Classic Silverado HD and I am trying to install my brake box but cant figure out how to get the panel off under the steering column. I have took the two screws out but it seems like the panel is still connected somewhere :mad: . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

cowboywildbill
01-17-2007, 04:18
You shouldn't have to drop that panel. I mounted my Jordan controller to the panel. Take care not to hit any wires behind it. If you need to pull that panel,Set the parking brake. Tilt your steering wheel down put the gear shift in 1 and pop the trim ring off that covers the instrument panel and radio.
It snaps off no screws.There are slots in the lower corners to get your fingers into. Then you can finish pulling off the lower panel. I'm not sure if the lower panel has any more screws. Did you find the panel under the dash that is where you plug in the harness for the controller. It has one plastic fastner in the middle and the cover just pulls off. Good luck.

Gobbledot
01-18-2007, 00:25
I think I saw it today when I was under there looking. After you said it has one nut thattakes off the cover I know I was at the right place now. It was sorta confussing with the pigtail instructions I got as to where exactly it was. Where did you mount your box at? I have been looking and looked at a friends and looks like the best place to mount it is above the gas pedal at the bottom of the pannel I was trying to take off. Thanks for your help..

cowboywildbill
01-18-2007, 15:09
Hey your very welcome. The pig tail plugs into the slot at the top of the box. If I remember correctly it is the second female slot to the right on the very top. It is almost in the top middle. It will almost go into the top left one, and looks like it will fit, but it is the next one over. I mounted our box about halfway up on the panel just above the gas pedal. The Jodan Brake has a cable that connects to the brake pedal arm, and has to be mounted in such a manner as to let the cable slide properly. But on the inertia or pendelum type boxes, you can mount it just about anywhere that the wire harness will allow. I have always like my controller's mounted just above the gas pedal and high enough that I can manually control it without bending over or reaching way down to activate it. And if it is mounted a little higher, you won't be as likely to bump it with your right leg. That is if you drive with the seat way up or have long legs. Just something to think about. Hope that helps. Good luck with your install. Let us know how it goes.

Gobbledot
01-18-2007, 17:59
Again thanks, I have got my box mounted and my pigtails tied together :rolleyes: ( whooo man was that fun trying to figure which one goes with each other). I have a biger fuse that was taped to the pigtain from GM, does that replace on under the hood? Man how confussing this stuff is getting. I had a F350 and traded in in on this Silverado so all this GM stuff is new to me because I have been a Ford man all my life till now. It seems like I had to replace the one on my ford too but it has been a day or three since I done it... I luv this site because there is so much info in here that I could read all night and day and learn so much then there is some very smart people like yourself that is wiling to help dummies like myself with their problems.. Again thanks a bunch...:)

cowboywildbill
01-19-2007, 06:41
Thanks for the compliment.But there are a whole lot more tech savy people on this site than me. I do like to help when I can. And if I have had some experience at what worked for me.I like to pass it on. I ask lot's of questions on this forum, and get lot's of super advice. It really takes the trial and error out of doing a job or fixing a problem.And that saves money. That fuse on your harness may be the one that goes in the fuse box that is under the hood on the drivers side.I'm guessing it could be for the 12v power supply to your trailer aux batteries.It should be a 40 amp. Someone else on the site might know for sure. I used my old harness because it was already wired to my controller, so I didn't see a fuse. I guess I could look at the one that came with the 07 and see what it has. Good luck and enjoy your ride.

Stlheadake
01-25-2007, 19:00
IF you are towing a trailer with a battery. I installed mine and everything worked just fine. EXCEPT I wasn't putting any 12V power to my trailer's battery while towing.

If you are standing on the driver's side of the truck, pop off the fuse box lid. Look in the upper left hand corner of the panel. You will see the trailer aux 12V slot for the fuse.

Good luck! I thought I read on the little tag that comes on the pig tail that the fuse is factory installed, so I didn't bother looking. You know what they say happens when you assume!!!!

cowboywildbill
01-26-2007, 04:33
Good point, I had that fuse blow on our 06. It didn't look blown, and the owners manual nor the panel had it marked as the 12v aux trailer power. But you guy's on the forum put me in the right spot.