PDA

View Full Version : Dash light for plugs not coming on...wont start

WhiteSierra96
01-17-2007, 07:48
Hey all,

Brand new to the forums i have a 1996 gmc sierra 2500 turbo diesel pick-up and this morning its like -30 degrees celcius outside and well i went to start it and the "please wait" light didnt come on in the dash and the truck wont start, sounds like battery is dead, i tried boosting and nutting. also yesterday we had the vaccuum pump changed due to it being burnt. any help guys on this? btw im no mechanic but i can get around pretty well with some help!

thanks guys

chickenhunterbob
01-17-2007, 11:42
It is highly probable, and I'm about 99% sure on this, that you have a loose or otherwise bad connection of a battery cable.

Warren96
01-17-2007, 13:29
Chick.... makes a good point,Is it the dash lights or the wait to start light, that doesn't light? How about the dome light?

WhiteSierra96
01-17-2007, 18:54
nono just the dash wait to start light, truck cranks and stuff just doesnt catch just dies out...

65TD
01-17-2007, 19:48
Check the glow controller.

Also the ground wires on the intake manifold.

WhiteSierra96
01-18-2007, 10:39
where is the glow controller located? actually last night we actually got her to start with no plugs... a little ether and she fired up but the check engine light came on and well when they must of changed the vaccuum pump they could have disconnected somthing!

moondoggie
01-18-2007, 12:08
Good Day!

[FONT=Verdana][I]

WhiteSierra96
01-19-2007, 12:33
Wow thanks for such a great post! really learned somthing! so ya a dab of ether started her up, brought her to the garage and made her sleep inside, then next morning dash light came on and she fired up no problem. We had 1 of our feul lines changed due to a little leak and they spray washed the engine bay and right after she slept outside all night in the -22 degree weather. im guessing somthing froze and didnt cause it to start. all is well now and thank you very much for your help guys!

C.K. Piquup
01-19-2007, 14:39
#1:Check fuse
#2:Use a test light on either side of the controller.With the key "on" one side will have constant power and the other should "cycle".If no constant/good fuse,the supply is interupted.
Either if fine as long as the glow plugs aren`t functioning or are disconnected.Not disconnecting them even w/nonfunctioning plugs is risky,though.How do you know it`s not an intermitent problem??Glow plugs and starting fluid,not good!!

65TD
01-20-2007, 08:20
Could be due to taking the battery out.