PDA

View Full Version : Why Gas - Why Diesel

More Power
01-18-2007, 23:39
One of GM's new web sites (http://www.whygas.com/) contains some interesting information concerning why the newest 8.1L gas engine should remain in the medium-duty engine lineup. Also included is some reformulated information about the new 2007 Duramax diesel emissions and engine control systems. :)

Jim

OC_DMAX
01-19-2007, 08:19
All that is present is two paragraphs of text with no links?? Is the website broken?

I also find it odd that GM is talking up the 8.1L gas engine and yet they do not offer it or an equivalent in the HD line of pickups (especially with the added cost of the DMAX engine these days).

ronniejoe
01-19-2007, 08:29
It's a very glitzy, shock animated website. Worked fine for me.

OC_DMAX
01-19-2007, 08:36
Thanks RJ - I must not have something enabled on my computer correctly. I tried both browsers (IE and Firefox) and got the same two paragraph intro (and thats all).

ToddMeister
01-19-2007, 09:11
It's a very glitzy, shock animated website. Worked fine for me.

Also worked fine for me.

Mark Rinker
01-19-2007, 10:42
There is a local performance/tuner shop offering E-85 programming updates for non-flex fuel vehicles. My understanding is you would have two switched tunes available, one for regular unleaded, and one for E-85. They claim to bring E-85 mileage within 7% of regular unleaded with their tune. Would be interesting to see what could be done with the 8.1 and this approach.

However, towing heavy over long distances will still be the domain of the diesel, unless the relative price gap between unleaded/E-85 and #2 continues to widen...

Anyone got a crystal ball?

jmoser
01-19-2007, 11:19
E85 in a non flex-fuel vehicle ?????

Unless I am grossly misinformed the alcohol in E85 can be highly corrosive to standard [non flex-fuel] materials in the fuel delivery system. Fuel pump, fuel rails, fittings, injectors, etc etc etc.

Owner's manuals on every engine I buy from boats to trucks say that 10% ethanol and 5% methanol is the upper limit - I see warranty claims rising!

Mark Rinker
01-19-2007, 11:41
I don't know what their conversion services entail. Certainly there are a finite number of systems and components to consider. Hopefully they consider the entire picture from tank pump to injector pintle.

The opinion I have heard from mechanics and enthusiasts running methanol fuels in racecars is that most modern fuel system componants are up to the E-85 task today, even on non-flex fuel vehicles. Makes sense to me as 10% ethanol fuels would eventually destroy any componant not resiliant to its corrosiveness. E85 would simply get there much faster.

I always thought a centrifugally supercharged 8.1L might be interesting as well...http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1138 How about an E85 powered, supercharged and intercooled 8.1L?

JohnC
01-19-2007, 16:39
All that is present is two paragraphs of text with no links?? Is the website broken?

Me too. No shock action... IE 7?

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2007, 20:34
Works fine with Mozilla/FireFox 8 (latest), with either the FireFox or EI engine. It's hit/miss with IE 7. Neat site, though.

STPETEBLUE
01-22-2007, 20:57
Free coffee mug!!!! :)

DmaxMaverick
01-22-2007, 21:10
Free coffee mug!!!! :)

Yup! I put in for one. Get 'em while they last.

mschuyler
01-23-2007, 12:08
Me too. No shock action... IE 7?

I don't think IE7 is the issue. It works for me. I DID get the latest Flash version here a week or so ago. That might be it if they're using new features on the web site.

moondoggie
07-09-2007, 09:40
Good Day!

Interesting - I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything Mark has said here until now. Please accept the following as intended - possible counterpoint, offered to stimulate discussion, NOT hard feelings. ;)

"They claim to bring E-85 mileage within 7% of regular unleaded with their tune." This would be fantastic, since E85 has ~ 71% the BTUs of regular unleaded gasoline. More technical details would be great.

"The opinion I have heard from mechanics and enthusiasts running methanol fuels in racecars is that most modern fuel system components are up to the E-85 task today, even on non-flex fuel vehicles." Keep in mind, methanol & ethanol are both alcohols (as is isopropanol), but have distinctly different characteristics. I would guess that your comment may be correct, but it's important to keep in mind, not necessarily.

Blessings!

Dakster
07-10-2007, 04:06
I believe you can tune an engine to run on E-85 and get close to the same mileage as RUG... I bet it will be with reduced power though.

There has to be some components that are not up to the E-85 task, because what good is it for a manuf. to NOT declare that they can run on E-85? Why are the 5.3's E-85 compatible and the 6.0 not? Granted this could be the same as when freon was switched and the only "real" change was some o-rings had to be replaced.

Doesn't really matter in So. Florida, I've yet to see an E-85 pump. Despite the fact that now I only own diesel's.

JeepSJ
07-11-2007, 00:02
E85 in a non flex-fuel vehicle ?????

Unless I am grossly misinformed the alcohol in E85 can be highly corrosive to standard [non flex-fuel] materials in the fuel delivery system. Fuel pump, fuel rails, fittings, injectors, etc etc etc.

Owner's manuals on every engine I buy from boats to trucks say that 10% ethanol and 5% methanol is the upper limit - I see warranty claims rising!

I read somewhere that there are no differences in those parts between the std and flex fuel on the current line of vehicles. The only difference is an extra sensor two and a different tune.

Rhinopkc
07-15-2007, 23:30
How do I get my mug??

DmaxMaverick
07-15-2007, 23:50
How do I get my mug??

Long gone. Long ago.