PDA

View Full Version : new wheels and tires soon to come?????

madmatt
01-19-2007, 12:33
I'm getting ready to purchase new tires and wheels and have a few questions I'm sure have been asked time and time again but my search has yielded no results. First will a 285/75 on a 16x8 or 16x9 wheel fit w/o no mre then cranking the bars and a little triming of some plastic??? Also does anyone have a pic of a Pewter Sivlerado w/ black wheels on it??? I'm thing of going w/ black PC wheels since I believe they would be easier to clean and they are way cheaper then chrome. Any and all opinions are needed and will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig M
01-19-2007, 13:28
What truck are you trying to install the tires on? You signature does not show a vehicle.

madmatt
01-20-2007, 09:40
Oh sorry,,,,guess that would help! My 02 C/C 2500HD. I find myself offroad quite often in my job and am getting sick of being pulled out. The factory tires on it now are helpless in the slick stuff and are just about wore out. I've been buying like new (5k miles or less) factory tires and wheels from my old dealership whenever they put a set of aftermarkets on for cheap but it just ain't worth it anymore. My truck is a gasser but rolls across the scales @ about 7K with my equipment and tool box and I often get stuck because of small wet grass covered hills. I had to get pulled out by a dodge one day last week and a dozer the next. The clay soil around here gets crazy slick when wet!

DmaxMaverick
01-20-2007, 11:34
There's nothing wrong with running seasonal tires/wheels. Use larger tires with a mud tread in the winter/wet season, and the OEM's in the summer/dry season. Very cost effective if you have access to OEM takeoffs for cheap, and your winter tires will last longer. Mud tires wear really fast on dry, hot pavement, and very slow on wet, cold or snowy surfaces. Larger tire diameters take power away from gassers at a high rate (less torque), but less power isn't a bad thing when the road is slick, anyway.

madmatt
01-21-2007, 14:55
I'll probably run them year round since I work on site more in the summer and thats when I get stuck the most. I think I'm going w/ a Dick Cepek Mud Country tire. Work allows me so much a year for maintence, tires and other truck related expenses and pays me a truck allowence and covers my gas so milage isn't a concern either really. The power is covered as well. I'm already running a programmer, headers, cold air intake, duals from the headers back and swapped out the MAF sensor. I'm more worried about size and if black wheels will look ok on a pewter truck.

MTTwister
01-22-2007, 17:43
Black is a tough color to keep looking good - esp car body colors. These wheels are gona be in a lot of dirt, sounds like. But I bet they'll look great when cleaned up. Mental picture -- I'd do it.

madmatt
01-23-2007, 05:42
Think they'd be harder to keep looking good then a set of chrome/polished wheels??? I'm looking at about $300 difference between the black wheels and chrome wheels that I like. I've never had black but the Welds I had on my F350 were a real pain!!!

madmatt
01-25-2007, 11:53
Would the tire size mentioned in my first post clear??????????

maxmybuck
01-25-2007, 16:14
I just bought new tires for my truck (only 265's though), but in my research found this posting regarding Firestone Destination M/T.....according to this guy it works....

J C Johnson "Awesome tire! Quiet, smooth riding tire that looks better on the truck than in the store. I mounted 285/75/16s right on my 2003 Chevy 2500HD with the standard 16 X 6.5 wheels. A little torsion lift in the front and we were good to go! Best mud tire I have ever owned."

Dry Wet Snow Handling Comfort Noise Treadwear
5 3 5 4 4 4 N/A

Hope this helps

madmatt
01-25-2007, 21:43
Thanks! That makes me feel a little better about buying this size!

madmatt
04-25-2007, 08:11
Well I ended up buying some Dick Cepek FC-II and keeping the stock wheels. they're 285/75 and ride smooth and quite.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/madmatt_photos/IMG_0523.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/madmatt_photos/IMG_0521.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/madmatt_photos/IMG_0518.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i87/madmatt_photos/IMG_0517.jpg