PDA

View Full Version : Can a chip blow up your 4l80E??

bbudus
01-20-2007, 16:00
I may have to go to court over a transmission failure, the repair shop, rebuilt my tranny, that blew up on the way home. He said the computer said e-prom failure and that caused the solenoids to engage at the wrong time, causing the tranny to reach 300 degrees before it blew up. Now this happened in about 15 seconds, i could not pull over fast enough.

I have a e-tork from heath, who has been wonderful but said this cannot cause a failure. Per other shops said it was either a cooling issue or bad converter, but that the ecm would put the tranny into limp mode if the computer of e-prom failed. What I need is some kind of proof, but am having a problem finding it.

Can anybody help? At least direct me to the right people? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Bbudus

john8662
01-20-2007, 21:31
Hmm...

Limp mode is what you'd get.

A couple of things will probably have to happen.

#1 test that the prom is functioning properly, probably send back to Heath. After the prom is found to be working properly, then the likely cause would be something internal to the transmission.

#2 transmission disassembly, need to find out what "blew up" on the tranny so to speak.

I'm guessing you have gauges installed in your rig to see 300*F?

J

bbudus
01-20-2007, 21:48
Yes, have gauges. Is there anyplace I can get documentation on limp mode? Anything from gm? Shop is saying they are not going to pay for rebuild because ecm says prom failure.

bbudus

Slim shady
01-20-2007, 23:20
Does your state regulate repair facilities?, if they do they generally have investigators that will help you bring action against the repair facility if they did or were responsible for the transmission failure. In Michigan they have a group of investigators that do those types of cases. Document everything from the time of failure and do not let the original repair shop tear it down before you have another shop give you a diagnosis of the failure.

Tell the second repair shop it was just rebuilt and ask them to diagnosis the failure. Do not let them tear it down either until you hear from the State (if you have that in your state). The second shop will help you if you need to go to court and they can testify as an expert witness if they are certified ASE mechanics.

Bnave95
01-21-2007, 07:00
I would look really close to the trans harness. How it was layed out,routed from the trans back to the ecm.

bbudus
01-22-2007, 14:26
Thanks for all the replies, I will be contacting the state of Montana about regulations, as this is the THIRD transmission.

He did say he rewired the connection because he found a plug from a 4l60e, is that even compatible? I need as much info as possible.

Thanks,

Bbudus

Slim shady
01-24-2007, 21:07
Let me know what happens and if you have regulated repair facilities. Just for my own information.