PDA

View Full Version : flameing out

1bad383
10-11-2003, 21:11
I just started having a bad problem on the way home from Hooters tonight. Got in the truck to go home(94 TD) went aboout 90 feet, and it died. Started agian, idled it for a while, about 100 feet later dead. Did this about four times, and eventualy I made it home. Once it died off idle, and the other times it would konk out while on the throttle. The first three times it was in fairly rapid sucession, it went a long time the last time. Air bubble??? Bad Juju? This is the very first time it did this. Fresh fuel filter, no water in fuel light. Recent tank ful of fuel. Same place I always full up at. Hi traffic gas station. Is there something I need to look at, or a general symptom? :( One of my friends said something about overboost, is that even possible? Something about shutting the computer down. Disconnected the sensor, it ran but I limped it home. This hog is WAY too heavy to push home!!! HELP!!!!!! :confused: :confused:

patrick m.
10-12-2003, 07:55
if the computer sees overboost, it will just set a code and open the wastegate.
overcharge is a different story, if the alt decided to produce 15.5volts, the self protection ckts in the pcm would cause it to "turn-off".

but, its not likely that is what happened. check for poor connections, and batt cables. then lean towards PMD.

turbovair
10-14-2003, 12:12
Ive mentioned this before...my engine stalling was due to a faulty ignition switch.While the engine is running, wiggle, push/pull on ignition switch.When my engine died during the test, I replaced the ignition switch/harness and the problem has NEVER recurred.Check it out.

1bad383
10-14-2003, 14:52
Ive checked out the sugestions posted and the troubleshooting area. Looks like a PMD. So I have one in the mail. Is there generally a waterfall effect when things go bad?? AKA one thing after another???? :eek:

ucdavis
10-14-2003, 17:19
Some report this kind of dying from a failing ignition switch wearing out over many miles/key-on-offs; mostly stalling comes from fuel feed trouble (ign switch fault is also fuel except w/ign volts cutting out it shuts off fuel-shut-off solenoid, as loss of ign volts should) which is covered in the Stalling article under Members Area, Reference Section. If you get no codes (see http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/trblcode.htm )
it is probably the fsd. If you get codes post them & get better advice.