PDA

View Full Version : Brake questions?

Kev-o
01-21-2007, 20:03
First off i am wondering if the braking upgrades that GMC hauler did to his 96 Burb will work on my 93 2500 4X4 with HD diffs? And also when i bought my 93 the rear brakes were hitting hard so i pulled the drums to find the right rear was very oily i changed the seal and cleaned up the diff vent tube and cleaned up the brake adjuster and put it back together, I had to back up and hit the brakes quite a few times before they felt good, but after a short while the brakes were hitting hard and locking up like they were before (a little scary on the icy highways) the brakes shoes have lots of meat on them but there is some areas on the shoe surface where it looks like some of the material is coming off, Not in big chunks but noticeable. any help would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

GMC Hauler
01-22-2007, 06:35
What you can do is call the parts store and see if the stock part number for your 93 is the same stock part number for a 96. In fact, you can do that online at Napa auto parts. If they are the same part number, then the upgrade is possible.

What exactly are the HD Diff's? I have the heavy duty axles (>8600#) factory on my vehicle.

Kev-o
01-22-2007, 08:06
Thanks i will try that the diffs are 8600# when i went to the parts store for the seal i stated it was a 2500 diesel 4X4 and they said there were 2 seal sizes so i picked up both sets to be safe, Got the truck apart and the seals were way to small, when i went back i had the guy look under 3500 and sure enough that was the right one. So i figured it was a HD diff?