PDA

View Full Version : Noise in steering column

j7l2
01-22-2007, 12:24
In my 2006 GMC, CC, 2500HD, 4WD, w/Allison, I have noticed the dreaded klunking noise coming from the telescoping part of the steering column. Is there a fix for this problem? My Dealer says that GM no longer recommends the grease fix, but instead are telling them to take this part out of the truck and stroke it back and forth to redistribute the lubricant. My Dealer says it is a joke and they have nothing to fix the problem. Is there an after market unit made to replace this telescoping assembly? Or what has anyone found as a permanent fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JimO

mark45678
01-23-2007, 19:11
In my 2006 GMC, CC, 2500HD, 4WD, w/Allison, I have noticed the dreaded klunking noise coming from the telescoping part of the steering column. Is there a fix for this problem? My Dealer says that GM no longer recommends the grease fix, but instead are telling them to take this part out of the truck and stroke it back and forth to redistribute the lubricant. My Dealer says it is a joke and they have nothing to fix the problem. Is there an after market unit made to replace this telescoping assembly? Or what has anyone found as a permanent fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JimO

Get some thick synthetic grease , pull the lower shaft out of the colume. put about 3 oz of grease in the shaft where the upper and lower come apart. problem solved . I used some bellray water proof syn stuff I had laying around. I am sure GM was sued by someone , there truck was crashed and the steering wheel pushed them back in the seat becaused it was greased by GM........ As far as I know GM still sell the grease kits , they are like 13 dollars. they come with the grease, a plug and instructions.

j7l2
01-25-2007, 12:05
I thought this would get more responces than one. Evidently not many of the newer trucks are having this problem. I was lead to believe that it was as frequent a problem in the 2006 trucks as it was in 2002 and 2003. I was told that the grease fix usually is only temporary and the klunk will be back.

Regards,
JimO

50+
01-26-2007, 12:27
This is a problem that I've had with all 4 of my Siverado's. 99, 01, 03, and my 05. I saw a post here about the lube kit several months ago and decided to ask my dealer about it. They said sure no problem, and I scheduled an appt. It took about 45 minutes, and I was back on the road, and no more clunking. That was about 5,000 miles ago, and so far so good. Mine was done under my 36k warranty. Not sure what they would say about doing it out of warranty? I got the impression from my service manager that they consider it a temp fix. Good luck.

RdTxTd
01-27-2007, 13:57
I've had mine greased and that helped, but it's been a while and I think it's starting to make noise again.

Dave

mark45678
01-27-2007, 16:11
mine is a 2006 , it had started making noise around 15000 miles , it has 28K on it now. Some trucks need to have it done more then once, all of my duramax truck have had the " lube job " done around 10000~15000 miles and not one of them had it done a second time . I traded the 2001 truck with over 80K on it and it was fine.

Buck
02-01-2007, 12:07
I used GM's lube kit last summer. According to GMdieseltech, if you follow the directions it will work for a looong time. Mine is good so far.

Kennedy
02-01-2007, 15:53
Stroking the shaft was the old way, now they are replacing the upper intermediate shaft:

Since these are copyrighted documents I will not post the document, but will post the doc numbers and TSB number

Document ID# 1893252

#00-02-35-003M - (01/31/2007)

This is the latest update from the General regarding these shafts. No more "stroking it"...