PDA

View Full Version : burning the other oil...

norm
10-12-2003, 07:40
my 95 L65 in k3500 crew cab is burning a quart of rotella about every 1,000 miles. (99,850 on truck) Is this normal? Maybe excessive blow-by? Just replaced CDR valve. Truck runs great, no black smoke, just smokes oil seen at night on heavy throttle. (mostly stock truck for now, no cat)

triggerman
10-12-2003, 15:49
If you are sure the oil is not leaking out, the only other thing to do is perform a compression test. Or a oil analysis. Good luck

turbovair
10-12-2003, 16:03
You might check your turbo also.An internal oil leak there can push your consumption way up.

norm
10-12-2003, 16:17
I was wondering if that turbo might be a problem, as the truck only has 100K. There is no discernable end play at the intake end, any suggestions on how to do a thorough check on the turbo?

Kidd
10-12-2003, 18:09
Did you check to see if the oil cooler lines might be leaking?

K.D.

tom.mcinerney
10-12-2003, 18:28
A quart / 1000 is more than you want, but not wildly excessive.
If the boost level decreases, more oil can leak from turbo, as output pressure helps 'seal'.
What was previous consumption?

norm
10-13-2003, 02:19
I have had the truck for a year and three months; it had 75k on it when I got it. It may have been a little better then, but not much. I do not have gauges on it yet, but that would not be a bad idea to check boost and such. There are no excessive leaks. I have been thinking about checking the oil return line for blockage.

markrinker
03-25-2005, 03:50
Norm or John8662, did you guys ever come up with causes/solutions for your excessive oil burning? I was searching old posts on this topic and both of yours sounded similar. (Great starter/runner, good power, no leaks, similar mileage.)

[ 03-25-2005, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

DChristie
03-25-2005, 05:43
Good morning!
My truck was sluggish and blew smoke on hard acceleration, and slobbered oil at every opportunity.
Shamefully redface.gif I must admit that for awhile (several months) I feared I had excessive blow-by and was saving the big pennies to have it rebuilt.
It was a local 70 yr old diesel mechanic that pointed me in the direction of blow-by, I asked him about it, and his response was; "how big a puddle of oil is under it when you park? No puddle no blow-by, big puddle..... :(
I was loosing about a qt every 300 miles. (Fill the oil and check the fuel :rolleyes: ) Finally I made the time to climb under and see where the trouble really was.(loose oil filter, cooler lines,rear main seal, blow-by, or whatever)After a couple of cans of engine degreaser and a thorough rinse I tracked it down to a fingerloose bolt on the driverside valve cover. While I was under the hood I cut the shell off of airbox to allow it to breath better, and changed the fuel filter. There was all kinds of crud and H2o in there, I was suprised because I had changed the filter in early december.

Still need to tighten up on the loose nut at the steering wheel. ;)

I had voluminous smoke on hard acceleration (more visible after dark).That has been greatly reduced by correcting the problem I had with my boost fooler. (broken third leg from the pot to grey wire)

Fixing those troubles has had a seat of the pants improvement in the old girl. :D
Overall I think the effect of each little problem was compounding the next.
I'm glad to have my truck back in shape. :cool:

Hope this helps some.

Don

JohnC
03-25-2005, 11:00
I've had 3 different Diesel engines built by 2 different manufacturers and broken in by 3 different drivers. All three used a quart every 1000 to 1500 miles pretty much from day one. Maybe I'm just lucky...

norm
03-25-2005, 16:35
Still going at 121,500. I haven't had much time to deal with oil consumption issues. It is only a bit worse now, nothing I can't keep up with. My guess is that it is oil carried in the blow by through the CDR, but not sure. No apparent major oil leaks, although I am leaking ATF pretty good - I can't tell if from tranny or 'case; it is coming from where they join together. Tranny level is ok, will check 'case level tomorrow.

tom.mcinerney
03-26-2005, 18:39
mine leaked/burnt(??) about 1-1/2 qt in 1500miles.There was little/no oil beneath truck when parked. After new heads and cleaning/sealing things, it burnt less than 1/4 qt in 1st thousand miles since. I was too cheap to do a new CDR, but i did soak it in diesel & kero to give it a good cleaning. There is a little leak from the rear main seal yet.

markrinker
03-27-2005, 05:15
I have a 1) new CDR on the way, 2) replacing the restrictive stock intake, and 3) switching to synthetic oil. I am hoping that these three items will lessen the oil consumption, mostly in the form of blow-by.

The truck (#2) is running excellent, I am nearing the monetary break-even point for the used motor swap last summer. 40K mostly towing miles in ~9 months! ~160K on the odometer, ~90K on the motor, ~2K on reman 4L80E.

radrecon69
03-27-2005, 14:02
Ok I had the same problem after I had a new engine installed in my dually. After 500 miles I started to use synthetic oil (Rotella) and I could never get over 300-400 miles to the quart me and the engine rebuilder went round and round finally talked to the President of the company and he told me to STOP using synthetic oil for about anther 10,000 miles. This after I have almost 10,000 miles on it, will I did and it quit using oil I am going to put another 5000 on it then switch to Schaffer oil. The president of the company extended my warrety another 6 months

Rick