PDA

View Full Version : Adding BTU to Diesel fuel

TurboDiverArt
01-23-2007, 12:53
Hi all,

I

Idle_Chatter
01-23-2007, 14:39
I've just started experimenting with low-ash (TCW-3) 2-stroke oil added to my fuel for lubricity (documented claims of lowered injector balance rates), especially with the changeover to ULSD. I noticed immediately that my truck was "peppier" and performance seemed up. I've seen almost a 2 mpg increase in performance, even on winter fuel at double-digit sub-zero temps. I'm thinking it's got to be adding BTUs and has certainly balanced out the usual winter fuel loss so far.

chickenhunterbob
01-23-2007, 14:57
While I can't answer the gas in the diesel question, I will say that I have seen no reduction in fuel mileage at all since we started using ULSD in October, don't know what results others have seen, but to me is a non-issue as far as mileage is concerned.

I do also add Stanadyne performance formula and 8 oz 2-stroke oil to each tank.

TurboDiverArt
01-23-2007, 15:05
I've just started experimenting with low-ash (TCW-3) 2-stroke oil added to my fuel for lubricity (documented claims of lowered injector balance rates), especially with the changeover to ULSD. I noticed immediately that my truck was "peppier" and performance seemed up. I've seen almost a 2 mpg increase in performance, even on winter fuel at double-digit sub-zero temps. I'm thinking it's got to be adding BTUs and has certainly balanced out the usual winter fuel loss so far.
How much and at what ratio? I'm currently adding Standyne Lubricity. If 2-stroke is close in price I can switch to that. I know 2-stroke will certainly burn well.

Art.

Idle_Chatter
01-23-2007, 17:50
How much and at what ratio? I'm currently adding Standyne Lubricity. If 2-stroke is close in price I can switch to that. I know 2-stroke will certainly burn well.

Art.

I'm still adding FPPF Total Power for cloud point and lubricity. I've been adding FPPF to every drop of fuel I've ever run in this truck, and I'm really concerned about lubricity and cloud point with ULSD (untreated ULSD clouds at +10 F and we've been double-digit below at night here in Idaho). As far as the 2-cycle. It's 100:1 oil, I put a full quart into my 40 gallon in bed aux and 1/2 quart into my 26 gallon OEM tank. (Thats 32 oz/5120 oz in the aux, which is 1:160 and 16 oz in 3328 oz in the OEM, which is 1:208) I didn't want to dose too heavily with the thick oil in subzero temps, although it is snowmobile oil.

gmctd
01-23-2007, 18:46
Anybody understand the difference in OCTANE rating and CETANE rating?

Or that Diesel fuel has 20% more BTU content by volume than gasoline, and that winterized Diesel fuel still has more BTU content than gasoline?

Why would you want to lower the cetane rating any more by adding gasoline to winter Diesel?

Or dilute the viscosity rating any further?

It's those old wives' tales that gave Diesels such a bad rap.

And, don't get me started on Acetone.....................

TurboDiverArt
01-24-2007, 09:46
Anybody understand the difference in OCTANE rating and CETANE rating?

Or that Diesel fuel has 20% more BTU content by volume than gasoline, and that winterized Diesel fuel still has more BTU content than gasoline?

Why would you want to lower the cetane rating any more by adding gasoline to winter Diesel?

Or dilute the viscosity rating any further?

It's those old wives' tales that gave Diesels such a bad rap.

And, don't get me started on Acetone.....................
I honestly didn't know that Diesel has more BTU than Gasoline. That explains a lot as to why a Diesel is more efficient than a gas engine. I could never quite explain that. The only reason I thought that gas had more was because of EGT's. The EGT's are lower on my truck than in my gas car and the truck is double the weight and double the engine. My street car routinely cruises at above 500-600 degrees EGT while my truck is never that high while cruising. Both are turbo charged and intercooled.

You won

moondoggie
01-24-2007, 13:20
Good Day!

"...Diesel has more BTU than Gasoline. That explains a lot as to why a Diesel is more efficient than a gas engine." ...& a diesel has no throttle plate. Last time I checked, it took hp to produce a vacuum. A gasser is ALWAYS producing vacuum, even at WOT. During most driving conditions, the throttle plate on a gasser is partially closed, refelected by the amount of manifold vacuum produced. Your diesel draws all the air it can, all the time.

The combination of more BTU's in the fuel, & lack of a throttle plate, is most of the reason diesels always achieve better mpg than gassers.

Blessings!

TurboDiverArt
01-24-2007, 13:27
& a diesel has no throttle plate. Last time I checked, it took hp to produce a vacuum. A gasser is ALWAYS producing vacuum, even at WOT. During most driving conditions, the throttle plate on a gasser is partially closed, refelected by the amount of manifold vacuum produced. Your diesel draws all the air it can, all the time.

The combination of more BTU's in the fuel, & lack of a throttle plate, is most of the reason diesels always achieve better mpg than gassers.

Blessings!
That's a piece of the puzzle I never thought about!

Art.

jmpidgeo
01-24-2007, 20:08
Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel.

Does it matter which brand you use at all? How much to add? I think i read 1/2 quart for 26 gallons...anyone else have anything to say about it?

DaveNY
01-24-2007, 20:31
I dump a Qt. of any thing I can pick up cheap. 10-40, 30wt or 2cycle. every time I top off. But still use Stanadyne blue or Howes all year.If the Motor oil gets to concentrated I can smell it in the exhaust and I skip a dose. The oil is mainly for peace of mind for lubeing the pump. If you want to see what extra BTU's can do for your truck, chuck in some Home Heating oil and boost the cetane. Your truck will love it.
Dave

jmpidgeo
01-24-2007, 20:47
I dump a Qt. of any thing I can pick up cheap. 10-40, 30wt or 2cycle. every time I top off. But still use Stanadyne blue or Howes all year.If the Motor oil gets to concentrated I can smell it in the exhaust and I skip a dose. The oil is mainly for peace of mind for lubeing the pump. If you want to see what extra BTU's can do for your truck, chuck in some Home Heating oil and boost the cetane. Your truck will love it.
Dave
Home heating oil? how much? Currently I add Diesel Power Service "Diesel Kleen + Cetane boost"

DaveNY
01-24-2007, 21:01
I have run on #2 for mos at a time usually during boating season, truck and the Cats in the boat like it very much. You just have to treat the fuel with cetane boost. I treat 275 gal with a 2 qt jug of Stanadyne Blue. Dave

rustyk
01-24-2007, 21:28
Home heating oil is basically the very same as diesel (#2 fuel oil) - there is no advantage with using home heating oil , except the possibility of enriching one's attorney, since it's illegal (no road fuel tax, and likely not a legal formulation with respect to sulfur).

Anyway, the "octane rating" is based on the performance of a motor fuels as compared to isooctane (100) versus normal heptane (0), and it's a measure of how quickly the fuel-air mixture will combust.

Cetane rating is essentially the time-delay from injection to ignition of the fuel-air mixture. Cetane-improver is unnecessary for a diesel designed to run on 40 cetane.

Adding motor oil to diesel fuel is unwise, since all the components don't burn; ashless 2-cycle oil is OK, but I use FPPF or CRC additives rather than 2-cycle oil.

Adding gasoline is also not just unwise but dangerous. The diesel-gaso mixture will now have the flash/fire point of gaso - and damage to the engine is quite possible (ever notice the prohibition against using ether to start a glow-plug equipped engine?). The gaso will also defeat the addition of lubricating additves to the diesel.

jmpidgeo
01-24-2007, 21:46
Home heating oil is basically the very same as diesel (#2 fuel oil) - there is no advantage with using home heating oil , except the possibility of enriching one's attorney, since it's illegal (no road fuel tax, and likely not a legal formulation with respect to sulfur).

Anyway, the "octane rating" is based on the performance of a motor fuels as compared to isooctane (100) versus normal heptane (0), and it's a measure of how quickly the fuel-air mixture will combust.

Cetane rating is essentially the time-delay from injection to ignition of the fuel-air mixture. Cetane-improver is unnecessary for a diesel designed to run on 40 cetane.

Adding motor oil to diesel fuel is unwise, since all the components don't burn; ashless 2-cycle oil is OK, but I use FPPF or CRC additives rather than 2-cycle oil.

Adding gasoline is also not just unwise but dangerous. The diesel-gaso mixture will now have the flash/fire point of gaso - and damage to the engine is quite possible (ever notice the prohibition against using ether to start a glow-plug equipped engine?). The gaso will also defeat the addition of lubricating additves to the diesel.

sorry...but what is FPPF and CRC? (newbie to diesel stuff)

Idle_Chatter
01-25-2007, 06:39
Adding 2 stroke oil to diesel.

Does it matter which brand you use at all? How much to add? I think i read 1/2 quart for 26 gallons...anyone else have anything to say about it?

FPPF and CRC are other brands of fuel additives, like Stanadyne. The folks that convinced me to start trying it were sold on the new TCW-3 rated low ash oils. There are synthetics, too, but I wanted something without a lot of additives. I'm currently using Castrol 2T Snowmobile oil that I'm buying at the local Cal Ranch farm store for $2.99 a quart. Quite a few folks are using Wal Mart 2-stroke oil, but I haven't tried that.

gmctd
01-25-2007, 10:29
Check it out - http://www.powertogo.ca/diesevslheating.htm

DaveNY
01-25-2007, 21:06

It is a common mistake to confuse off road (500ppm) diesel with Home heating oil they are very different with respect to sulfer and lubricating properties Which result in a higher BTU per Gal than on and off road fuel which are identical to each other except for the red dye for tax purposes.Just take a piece of clean wood and spill an ounce of each and see which one is still there after a couple of hours. As far as supporting my attny maybe we all better put the cats back on and yank the ecm's out before the boogie man gets us
Dave

Mark Rinker
01-26-2007, 17:04
Another reason for NOT adding gasoline to diesel would be the 10% ethanol found in most gasoline. Alcohol in diesels is not a good idea.

MikeC
01-26-2007, 23:24
Anyone here tried or currently use this?

http://www.rollingbigpower.com/products/?sfID1=12

I currently use FPPF Total Power but was wondering about this additive.

Mike

DieselMonk
01-29-2007, 14:50
Yep, home heating oil at least around here in eastern Canada has more sulphur now than LSD. Years ago home heating oil and Diesel came out of the same container. It does not so anymore. You also can smell that home heating oil has more sulphur content now as it stings in my nose and if you kinda feel the lubricity between two fingers its more like water as the lubrication has been removed (for all those bad folks that run home heating oil in their diesels ;) ) I heard about mixing engine oil or ATF into the Diesel for lube. Engine oil isn't made to burn. It will coke. Tried that mix in my furnace. :( Never tried ATF as it is too much money for a liter. Only for the piece of mind adding lube to the ULSD (specially the winter blend) I got around and dump 1% of canola oil (salad oil) into the tank. I still use a diesel fuel conditioner on top of it, that nothing will freeze. :D

sailun
02-06-2007, 21:29
I've been running a qt of 2-stroke oil per 42 gal tank for the last 3 tank fulls.
I sure haven't seen ANY improvement in MPG. Of course, it has finally gotten cold here in CT, for the past week.

It seems to feel a bit peppier at times, but..........

Considering the large dilution factor already mentioned in this thread, how many BTU's are we really adding ?

Anyone know the BTU's in a quart of 2-cycle oil, vs BTU's per qt or gallon of #2 ?

Stlheadake
12-07-2009, 22:37
ummm...I have a "friend" that ran about a 50/50 mix of heating oil diesel for a couple of tanks. He noticed TREMENDOUS increase in MPGs as well as just plain ole power. That stuff is ADDICTING!! The fuel oil had been in a tank that was pulled out of a home. Only got a couple of tanks, WOW what a difference... uh I heard about...