PDA

View Full Version : BALANCING 6.5

FARMERBOB
01-11-2004, 15:53
I'm rebuilding a 6.5 and I am going to have it balanced. The machine shop I called said they have never done a 6.5td balance job before and it should be no different than a gasser. A friend who works in a big truck shop thought there is a different balance procedure. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

mhagie
01-11-2004, 17:15
Balancing a 6.5 should not be any more a hassle than a 454, they are both externaly balanced and not that far apart as to size,etc.
With that its the basicly the same procedure for all. Pistons all the same weight, rods same deal, rod end weights the same, and balance the rotating assembly.
I can tell you that it in fact does make a difference, I had a 82 olds 5.7 diesel that I rebuilt and had balanced, it ran better than any 5.7 I was ever around,smoother and a tad bit more power.
I would never again rebuild any engine without balancing............Merle

dieseldummy
01-11-2004, 17:20
Farmerbob, where at in CO are you, and what machine shop do you use. I'm here in Sterling in the NE corner, and I'm not sure I have much confidence in our machine shop. I'm always looking for other options. Thanks.

FARMERBOB
01-12-2004, 07:40
After talking with Duerst Machine Works in Burlington Colorado,an AERA member. I was told that a 6.5td is no different to balance than any V8 and according to AERA TB-1937R it is highly recommended that it be balanced in a rebuild situation. Hey Dieseldummy, I am in Lamar in the SE corner. There is no machine shop capable of balancing engines here, it's either 100mi to Pueblo or 100mi to Burlington

dieseldummy
01-12-2004, 10:31
I've heard good things about a place in Colorado Springs, but I've also heard that he is pretty pricey. He does rotating assemblies for racecar people. Hope the weathers been nicer there than it has been here, -17 a couple nights ago :D .

ucdavis
01-13-2004, 15:07
I agree w/Merle. No rebuild should be done w/out balancing; its way cheap for the benefit- lower vibration, longer parts life, even less noise vs. extreme conditions of outa balance.

C.K. Piquup
01-13-2004, 15:40
Balance is good.Especially an engine with a history of broken cranks.The harmonic balacer can use all the help it can get(a new one,RIGHT!)When I do mine,I gonna try to use a fluid-type like track cars.