PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Dimensions

nak1017
01-24-2007, 17:59
What are the dimensions/weight of the Duramax? I'm thinking about doing a swap into a mini-truck...

YZF1R
01-24-2007, 19:13
Don't know the answer, but I hope it's going to be a mid-engine mount! Might end up standing a mini-truck on it's nose.

Steve

nak1017
01-24-2007, 23:10
Don't know the answer, but I hope it's going to be a mid-engine mount! Might end up standing a mini-truck on it's nose.

Steve

I would do mid-engine, but I've got no idea how I'd get the TC to work...

Arlie
01-25-2007, 00:16
I don't have the answer either but I know it's quite similar to the 6.5. It looks a lot bigger but the heads are aluminum. Definitely heavier than a gasser!
Not sure that was of much value. :rolleyes:
Arlie

More Power
01-25-2007, 01:12
The book says it weighs 835-lbs. From the ex manifolds down, it might be roughly compared to a big-block in size, but the top of the engine is much higher. An LB7 barely squeezes under the hood of a 90's GM full-size pickup, and it surely wouldn't fit in a smaller truck without a body lift. Then there are all of the ancillary parts needed to make it work (i.e. air box, electrical center, coolant surge tank, two batteries, intercooler hoses/pipes, etc.). The engine bay gets crowded in a full-size.

Might not be impossible, but close....

Jim

nak1017
01-25-2007, 14:57
The book says it weighs 835-lbs. From the ex manifolds down, it might be roughly compared to a big-block in size, but the top of the engine is much higher. An LB7 barely squeezes under the hood of a 90's GM full-size pickup, and it surely wouldn't fit in a smaller truck without a body lift. Then there are all of the ancillary parts needed to make it work (i.e. air box, electrical center, coolant surge tank, two batteries, intercooler hoses/pipes, etc.). The engine bay gets crowded in a full-size.

One of the reasons I need these dimensions so bad is to find out how much I'm going to need to cut into the firewall. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a transmission tunnel, bump in the hood and a cradle from the engine... but if I'm gonna do that, I might as well build up the frame too. The electronics, surge tank, batteries and (to some degree) intercooler can all be remote mounted outside the engine bay. The big thing I'm worried about is the steering rack...

SoTxPollock
01-29-2007, 12:30
nak1017, I've thought of doing this too. What kind of mini-truck are you thinking about? The thing that I've beem concerned with is the amount of torque that can come from the engine, especially with any power adders or programers will be enough to severly twist the frame of a little, truck and the forward weight bias would be so much that you'd better plan on a full roll cage so that when the light back end passes the front you have some protection around you. Sorry I don't know of anyone who has dimensions on a Duramax engine, but just thinking about the distance from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the air intake, it may even be difficult to see over that giant hood scoop you would need. But hey go for it. I suspect the next generation racer is going to be just what you're thinking about with a hot Duramax in it turning in the 8 seconds quater mile. I think its do able, but will require a good engineering background to keep you out of trouble. Good Luck.

40grit
01-29-2007, 20:17
I had a Dmax/allison 2WD shipped out, it was 1900# on a pallet with a couple pallets around it to protect it. I would think motor alone is well over 1000# with all accessories on it. size wise, it's only a 400 cubic inch, but turbo and stuff add some extra dimensions. Dmax fit easy where a BBC would, allison was a huge monster than needed alot of room.

More Power
02-03-2007, 19:08
Almost forgot about this... Yes, a Duramax will fit an S-10. ;)

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/SEMA12.jpg