PDA

View Full Version : 6.6 duramax chirping noise

maxmybuck
01-25-2007, 16:04
hello all,
has anybody had a chirping (and I swear it sounds like a bird chirp) come from the engine compartment. It almost sounds like its the turbo ....it spools up and then releases some pressure ??? It only happens when the air tempurature is above 40 degrees F. It never does this when its below 40. When I'm on the highway and it does this you can feel a slight hesitation on the truck as well. It's driving me crazy.

Any help on this is much appreciated.
Max

DmaxMaverick
01-25-2007, 16:22
Welcome to the Forums!

You could have a more serious issue, but check out the simple stuff first. What you describe sounds like belt sqeak with A/C compressor engagement. Mine did it for a while until I replaced the belt and tensioner at about 90K. Now, it only chirps slightly with engine shutdown and A/C engaged.

Even if you have the A/C off, the compressor will cycle if you have any amount of defrost selected, or are on recirc. air. This keeps the air in the cab dry, and helps to prevent glass fogging. Of course, there will be a slight power surge with A/C engagement.

mvn
01-26-2007, 09:30
As in the previous post, check the easy things first. Mine was an alternator bearing going bad on the '03 I just sold.

maxmybuck
01-30-2007, 00:12
thanks for the help......I'll explore starting there.
Max

nordy
02-06-2007, 21:23
Hi I also had the chirping problemin my 2oo2 d-max and have not figured it out , I was wondering if you had any luck resolving this problem. Thanks Nordy.

SoTxPollock
02-08-2007, 12:25
The only time I hear those noises is when the belt gets wet. Takes a long time to stop too.

nordy
03-25-2007, 21:17
Hello Maxmybuck
I was wondering if you ever found out what the chirping noise in your truck was, still having the noise in my 2002 d-max. Thanks for your reply. Nordy.

nordy
03-25-2007, 21:22
Hello Maxmybuck
I have a 2002 d-max was wondering if you found out what the chirping noise was, I still have this noise going on in my truck. Thanks would appreciate any reply. Nordy

ccole
03-25-2007, 22:42
The only time I hear those noises is when the belt gets wet. Takes a long time to stop too.

My 2006 experiences the same thing (after going thru the carwash)

Duramaster
04-01-2007, 10:50
From what the majority of you posters are describing, it sounds like nothing more than a wet belt. Now on the 2001 DMAX, the belt tensioner was a pretty weak design. I have replaced plenty of those (2001). The newer vehicles don't have many belt problems unless there is debris in the belt grooves or the pulley grooves.

Another possibilty for the chirp or whistle noise could be a blown out exhaust manifold gasket. I have replaecd/ resealed a few of those also. But most of those have been medium duty truck applications. It's still worth looking into though.;)

Diesel Crat
04-18-2007, 13:43
My 02' does the same thing and has always done it now with 78k miles. Had the hood up and listened to the compressor clutch kick in. The noise sounds different with the hood up than when in the cab driving down the road. It is extremely annoying but it doesn't do it when I place the fan switch in the off mode. Doesn't seem to chirp at idle but becomes way more pronounced when cruising down the e-way at 2100 rpm.

Maybe the belt is chirping when the compressor clutch gets engaged at higher rpm. Any other ideas???? Would think if the alternator bearing is going it would chirp or squeak all the time or at least when you first start the engine.

Have replaced both the belt and the tensioner pulley to no resolve. They already tried belt dressing. It still does it.

It never cared whether it was wet or otherwise nor did it care whether it was below or above 40 degrees. Maybe, my noise is different then the one others described but it sounds the same to me by the other descriptions.

It's a very short bird type chirp noise and sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine compartment while driving.

Will ask dealer to look at it again next visit.

jbplock
04-18-2007, 16:42
My 03 was chirping the way you describe when ever the AC clutch cycled on. Turn off the Heat/AC .. no chirp... installed a new Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt ...chirp is gone.

:)

papa bear
04-23-2007, 21:33
I've had a chirp for at least a year. Seems to occur between gear shifts. To me, and to my stepson when he drives, it seems to be directly under the driver.....

I've never really worried about it. Should I be?

ZooKeeper25
03-26-2020, 08:46
I've had a chirp for at least a year. Seems to occur between gear shifts. To me, and to my stepson when he drives, it seems to be directly under the driver.....

I've never really worried about it. Should I be?

I have the same noise/issue happening with my truck too. Have you found out the cause of the noise since?

Kennedy
03-26-2020, 12:06
Which engine series?

deerhunter7
04-21-2020, 19:06
Mine was the tensioner bearing.