PDA

View Full Version : no heat in the seat

redrider#1
01-25-2007, 16:33
Well, not really a Duramax problem, but here goes....

My seat heater will not stay on. When I hit the button it comes on just long enough to feel some heat and then it clicks off. Anybody experience this before? Short of taking it to the stealer, any ideas? I sure miss that heated seat on those cold winter mornings......

im_chad
11-21-2008, 07:43
Is there an easy check as to what may be causing this? My 03 just started this same problem on the driver side only. The pass side will stay on and heat poperly but within 15-30 seconds of turning on the driver side they both shut down.

Thanks,

Duramaster
11-22-2008, 14:48
Hey! I'm a dealer TECH! That hurts!!! ;) Anyway, if you have access to a GM TECH2 you can scan the DSM (Driver Seat Module) and check for any seat heater related codes. You may have something as simple as a DSM that needs updated softare as per GM Bulletin 05-08-50-008 or you might have a seat heater grid that has shorted out causing the DSM to shut down from excessive current draw. First of all, move the front seats all the way forward and look at the seat harness connectors at the base of the seats. Disconnect them and look to see if the connectors are melted. If so, you need to start with replacing the appropriate pigtails. Also look the harness over for any chafing where it is bent at the flex area of the harness. If no problem, stand back and look at your seats. Do you see any discolor to the leather? Does it look like it may be burt? if so, I would suspect that heater grid to be defective. You can order just the grid. The seat bottom heaters are way easier to replace than the seat back grids. If you don't see any physical evidence, the best way to diagnose would be to use the GM TECH2 so that you can tell exactly what seat is causing the problem. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore info. I'm always glad to help even if I am a "DEALER TECH" !!! ;) :D

im_chad
11-24-2008, 13:06
Thanks Duramaster,

That is what I was looking for, was to get some leads to troubleshoot this.

-Chad

Duramaster
11-24-2008, 21:46
No problem. Anytime. ;)

hapaschold
11-26-2008, 05:15
had a similiar problem on my 01 dmax, was switch on driver door, i m guessing water damage. replaced it, and all was good.