PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem with 6.5 turbo

Pault
01-27-2007, 12:49
I made an earlier post about an electrical problem that I am having wiith my 97 GMC 3500 Sierra, 6.5 turbo diesel. After spending several hundred dollars on it, the problem still exists. I appreciate all the posts and suggestions from others who had this problem. The truck will just quit running and won''t restart until it takes the notion. Then it wiill run for another couple hundred miles without a problem, then the same thing again.

I have noticed something though, that I didn't before. If I put a battery charger on the battery, it will restart immediately. The batteries are not weak, and the engine turns fine, but when it is acting up, it won't restart without the charger. Does anyone have any suggestons as to why this is happening? The cables have been cleaned. Could I have a weak place inside a cable that is not visible, that might cause this problem? That would be an easy fix, but are there other possible reasons? Please feel free to emal me at gcea@juno.com. Thanks.

gmctd
01-27-2007, 12:56
Still goes back to electrical connections - you really need to go thru the engine bay, pulling and cleaning all grounds, checking all connectors for oxidation\corrosion, etc - make it look like a new one under the hood.

Many posts on this site explicitly detailing the specifics.

Your symptom is low voltage to the PMD - you have replaced it, right? - causing long FI pulse width - connectors, power, ground, etc

May even be your Ign switch