PDA

View Full Version : GAUGES FLICKER

Petrella
08-27-2003, 21:12
Hey guys i have a 1994 6.5 suburban. when i start it in the morning, the oil pressure jumps between 70 amd 75 psi. then it will flicker to 40 then 30 then back up to 70. it does it all the time, even when im driving. My volt gauge flickers a lot too. all the other gauges are fine. anyone got a clue whats goin on?

Anthony
1994 2500 Suburban 4x4

FirstDiesel
08-28-2003, 05:19
I'd start by checking electrical ground and cleaning them. Also on the OP sender make sure the connections are clean. I've had that on other cars and the oil pressure gauge reads funny.

WAPATI
08-28-2003, 07:23
The person or persons that suggested to check the wiring were right.

I would start with the grounds don't over look the ground at the starter and if you have not already done the DR Lee fix do so.

You might have to remove the starter to get to that connection.

Next I had a flixering problem that would come and go and I fixed that by replacing the alternator.

I bought mine from NAPA that is rated at 120 amps.

That starter really spins with that much amps.

Hope this helps.

StephenA
08-28-2003, 08:29
Wapati- what's the DR Lee fix? I'm replacing my OPS & fuel pump relay & want to do any needed mods...
Thanks in advance,
Stephen

HowieE
08-28-2003, 11:30
With more than one guage involved it is most likely a ground problem and most likely the instrument panel ground. However before you take everthing apart put a volt meter on the batteries and rev it up a bit just to be sure the alternator is OK and you have a good source voltage.

lafrance
08-28-2003, 18:07
Check all the grounds as previously mentioned.Do the battery terminal upgrades. I have dealt with this problem about 3yrs ago. Load test the batteries. DO NOT overtighten the battery cables to the battery. If it still exists and everything else is o.k. change the oil pressure switch. Volt guage flicker with no electical accesories running is not normal,Volt guage flicker with turn signals on is normal. IF the guage flickers with no load while driving put in an alternator.This is what eventually fixed mine .BTW the voltmeter guage in the cluster is fed thru the ignition switch on a 94 a new switch may be a good investment. Use only a AC delco alternator. The electrical systems on these trucks are very sensitive to voltage issues.Good Luck.

Kollin Syverson
08-28-2003, 18:48
I agree with lafrance on the alternator. Use only GM AC Delco parts or have your original rebuilt by a reputable repair shop. I will almost gaurantee if you buy a NAPA alternator you will be replaceing it again in 6 months to a year.

Petrella
08-28-2003, 19:19
last year in september, i nstalled two new Ac delco batteries, one new ac delco alternator, and a new oil pressure sensor. My conections are are tight at the batteries, but ill have to check the connections on the starter