PDA

View Full Version : Duramax reaches 1000HP on fuel only

Bobo
01-27-2007, 23:27
This is a HUGE step for the Duramax performance market. An 03 Duramax hit over 1000HP on a dyno in Danville, Indiana this morning and it did it on #2 fuel only in a daily driver. This truck has a full built motor built by Merchant Automotive in Michigan (MA) and runs compound twin turbos built by Maximized Performance in Idaho(MPI). The truck is a crew cab short box and also has twin CP3 pumps built by MPI. He runs a full built ATS Extreme transmission with the ATS Co-pilot to put the power to the ground. The truck is tuned with EFI Live. Track result will soon follow! The year of the Dmax has arrived! The name of the rig is Nasty Girl.

Kennedy
01-28-2007, 08:08
Yes truly a great accomplishment, but I'm not so sure about the daily driver thing. The jury is still out on that one...

Mark Rinker
01-28-2007, 08:17
Wow...what kind of boost numbers does it take to burn all that fuel?

OC_DMAX
01-28-2007, 09:19
Pretty amazing numbers, given a lot of the others have been in the 600-700HP territory. Looks like the 800-900 HP level has been skipped over. A pretty substantial step.

Still, I would have to question the "longevity" of the engine. Obviously, you stated the motor was "built", but I imagine that some of the core components (block, crankshaft, etc) have not changed.

My opinion, putting out this level of power will require constant rebuilds, etc. Something will always be breaking. This engine certainly will not make it to 100K miles, let alone 200K. So I agree with Kennedy, while it may be driveable on the street, I would not classify it as a daily driver (at least to the 100K level). Amazing none the less!!

Kennedy
01-28-2007, 13:06
My questioning of the daily drive status was purely on the white smoke like starting a semi tractor. To me that alone rules out daily driving let alone the longevity question.

After seeing several engines in the 600-700RWHP range scatter, I've taken a step back and will let guys like Keith do the R&D for a change...

supatrucka
01-28-2007, 15:21
Wow...what kind of boost numbers does it take to burn all that fuel?82 psi:eek:

Bobo
01-28-2007, 18:04
There has not been a dyno graph of the run posted up nor has there been any way to verify the results this dyno is putting out. I think a trip to Kennedy's shop to verify the numbers is in order. It sounds like the truck had some type of trouble because there was quite a bit of coolant lost. It could be head gaskets. Some guys are saying the injector cups are leaking from the boost psi.

Tough Guy
01-28-2007, 19:20
I saw nasty girl on the rollers at Weekend on the Edge 2006....

When I spoke to Keith then, he said they were shooting for 900hp-1000hp I don't recall exactly but I remember it dynoed 600ish last September.

Chris

Kennedy
01-28-2007, 20:42
From what I hear the numbers at this event for other somewhat known combinations were pretty much in order. In order to dyno this much power I'd definitely need to revise my test procedures and look at ways to improve traction.

I've seen plenty of West Coast numbers that couldn't be duplicated on a well calibrated dyno, but I have no reason to doubt these. There hasn't been any mention of CF or how much load was applied with the load cell.

Bobo
01-29-2007, 23:19
I was not at the dyno. A BD charger equipped dmax with a stock single CP3 put down 583 HP with a TTS Extreme tune. This is the highest he has ever dynoed with the next highest number being 545HP. Another TTS tuned stock charger truck put down 580HP....but now they are saying it had a spike in the graph and was more along the lines of 550HP....so those numbers seem quite high too. A bone stock LBZ with exhaust ran 323HP. That is high for that combo too. The 1000hp truck will be at several events and dynoed several more times in the near future. Hopefully, those numbers will be backed up or improved upon. There are a few single charger trucks taking a shot at the 1000hp mark too. They should be up in running soon!:cool:

SoTxPollock
02-05-2007, 12:21
Ya know I read in Hot Rod about guys that claim up to 2500 hp twin turbo gas engines that drive the streets, one is even a station wagon, but understand whatever hp levels they make need to last more than a few seconds if its in a daily driver truck. Most of those guys can go 1/4 mile WOT, but I'd like to see anyone try a 10 minute wide open run, but I wouldn't want to be too close.