PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver vs. Purpose built

Mark Rinker
01-28-2007, 13:07
I have been thinking about what constitutes a 'daily driver' vs. 'purpose built' Duramax truck. Both of my trucks are still 'daily drivers' even though they have modifications that give them increased power, range and economies for their purpose - which is towing.

The term 'daily driver' is so subjective...and has a ton to do with who is behind the controls. Just because it still has turn signals, brake lights and such doesn't mean its still 'streetable' - or wise to use as a 'daily driver'.

My definition of 'daily driver' for a DMax would be one that can still start, drive out and tow like bone stock, but can be be readied for an event like a truck pull or 1/4 mile race with simple (and reversible) setup. Some may be electronic, some may be mechanical, but returning the truck to its 'daily driver' status shouldn't be more than any new driver could accomplish with a page of instructions left in the console. Otherwise, in my definition, you have a 'purpose built' rig.

Question: Once a second injector pump is added, could the truck still be used to tow a 12K# trailer coast to coast? Can you fuel up on #2 at Flying J? Does it start after one glow cycle if the temperture dips to 10F? In Denver?

Better yet, would you send your sister, wife or mother 100 miles down the road and back in the truck without a single worry of driveability issues that could endanger them or others?

Just food for thought - no agenda here. So far, my two Duramax trucks can work, play and be piloted by anyone at anytime, even if they flick the switch to see what the performance tune or propane injection feels like.

Do the next steps toward mega-performance (dual IPs, dual turbos, etc.) necessarily steer trucks away from 'daily driver' to 'purpose built'? I like the idea of Lingenfelter Corvettes and the ZR-1 that are track capable, yet have a 'valet' setting that makes them capable grocery getters for the wife or your teenage kid. (Okay, NEVER your teenage kid...) :)

Could this type of performance on demand be built into a 'Daily Driver' Duramax?

DieselSpeed
01-30-2007, 18:06
A daily driver pushing 500hp isn't unreasonable, although not everything would be easily removed. A lot of what determines the category it falls into is your personal guideline on how much $ you're willing to spend.

Twin pumps won't do a lot on a stock truck; they make it so you can keep up rail pressure commanded by big tunes along w/ the faster drain big injectors have. Basically your stock pump can't keep up, so you add the 2nd to supplement. That doesn't mean you're running double the pressure or volume all the time, as each pump does 1/2 the work to provide you whatever PSI your computer wants. Throwing those pumps on w/ nothing else won't equal a huge power gain, but you may see better economy & a bit smoother idle.

Could the truck still be driven in 10* CO weather? Call ATS and ask them. Since they're in CO & they make a twin CP3 kit, they should have great 1st-hand knowledge.

SoTxPollock
02-05-2007, 12:32
I like the guy who wrote an article on the Z06 Corvette, he said that your grandmother could putter around in the vette all day and never know it was fast and you could get in it and stand on the gas and all hell breaks loose with 506 hp going on under the hood. That's my idea of a daily driver. It should be able to do everything you want it to do everyday from haul groceries to hall goosenecks towing 20,000 lbs. and it should never break.
Every so often I push mine to the limits it has, but if it can't take it I don't want it.

More Power
02-05-2007, 16:47
Something similar to Lil Red's setup that I used at Edge's event in 2005 would fit your criteria. It produced 400+ on just #2 and 500+ with nitrous. An ECM with two programs would do it. The lower level used for towing and daily driving, and the second for the track. No second CP3, and ran with the stock turbocharger and otherwise stock engine. You would need a trans upgrade though... ;)

Jim