PDA

View Full Version : L7 not as smooth at idle as a 6.5?

DickWells
01-28-2007, 21:03
:rolleyes: Just curious, but it seems to me that my 04 Sierra bounces the steering wheel a little more at idle, while sitting at stop lights, etc., than my 95 Burb. Also, it's not always the same. Sometimes quite noticeabe, sometimes just a vibration, rather than a tiny up and down motion of the wheel. I don't remember the Suburban ever feeling like that (except when the FSD, or pump was acting up, of course).
Oh, I keep the Hypetech programer set on level 3 all the time. Could this have something to do with it?
Just wondering. The truck runs just fine, over-all and I love the thing.
Dick Wells

More Power
01-29-2007, 11:52
There is always some variability between engines/trucks with regards to idle smoothness. You might check injector balance to see how well they match each other.

Jim

rob from bc canada
01-29-2007, 14:00
So is it an early 04 (LB7 - I wouldn't know bout those) or late 04 (LLY)???

I had a 93 6.5 TD mechanical pump, which always ran very well, but it was MUCH louder and rougher at idle than my 05 LLY.

Sitting inside the 05 at idle, even cold, you'd be hard pressed to tell it's Gas or Diesel. Really.

Try it stock tune, see if that helps??

DickWells
01-30-2007, 21:44
:cool: Thanks guys:
I will try stock setting and level one. Got plenty of time. We're parked down here in Brownsville for a month or so. Get to do a lot of short jaunts to the stores, etc. almost every day. I only tried level one and two once each over in Del Rio last spring. Liked the great torque too much to go back to a lower level of tune since then.
The engine has never miss-fired since I've owned it. Eighteen K miles since I bought it in April 06. That's mostly towing an 11000 lb trailer and about 1600 lb in the truck. The last time I checked ( while home for the holidays), I had averaged a little over 12 mpg towing. A couple of tanks full, solo while camping in Georgia, gave me 18 - 19 mpg. I'm pretty happy with that. Since it's not broken, I don't think I'm going to try to fix it.
Thanks again,
Dick Wells

DickWells
01-30-2007, 21:52
Forgot to mention. It's an early 04, built in Nov.- 03 LB7. My 95 Sub. with mechanical pump has always been very smooth and quiet. Smoother since I installed the Phazer gears. Really rough for quite a few seconds on start-up, after I put in the big mechanical pump, but very smooth after it settles down.
DW