PDA

View Full Version : Spare tire carrier

Shikaroka
01-30-2007, 12:38
My Suburban has the "tail gate" or horizontal rear doors.
Does anyone make an external rear spare tire carrier, that mounts to the back and can swing out of the way to access the tailgate?

Artworks
01-30-2007, 18:56
I have a '91 Toyota 4-Runner with the swing out tire carrier, you may want see if that would be able to adapt and can fined one at wrecker or such. I would guess the option one for a Tahoe or Yukon would work too. I think you could purchase aftermarket.

Shikaroka
01-31-2007, 09:02
Yeh, I've thought of checking the junkyards.
I just wanted to see if they made one for the Suburbans.

morgan
02-21-2007, 21:09
For your suburban, I've seen those safari roofracks with spare tire mounts, but getting it up/down would be a PITA.

I have a reese-style hitch mount on the front of my truck, and a spare tire rack is available for that as well.

Check out www.tiregate.com nice stuff, for pickups only, but worth mentioning.

good luck.

DA BIG ONE
02-21-2007, 21:11
Try,
http://www.kenmtn.com/

Good quality......

Shikaroka
02-22-2007, 21:04
I have considered the roof top carrier, but you're right, getting it down wouldn't be too joyful (especially for my wife)! And, I'm not too sure about adding that much height to my rig. Some of the garages I park in don't have too much clearence.

If my Burb had the "barn-doors" I'd just bolt a mount to one of the doors, but I don't think that would work too well with the tail gate (adding 60lbs).

Cool stuff! Thanks for the links guys.

DA BIG ONE
02-23-2007, 05:31
The H1 has a carrier that cranks up and down from corner of frame or a bumper. It has a rachet turnbuckle so tire can be rolled up to carrier lined up to lug studs bolted up lifted up to storage mode.

Shikaroka
02-23-2007, 09:56
The H1 has a carrier that cranks up and down from corner of frame or a bumper. It has a rachet turnbuckle so tire can be rolled up to carrier lined up to lug studs bolted up lifted up to storage mode.

Hmmmm.... I can't picture it.

I'd like to get some more cargo space in the back of my Burb, but it might not be worth it.
That Kennesaw Mountain Multi-Carrier sure is nice, but pricey!