PDA

View Full Version : Edge Evolution or Edge with attitude for LBZ

Petrella
01-30-2007, 18:33
Could someone help me out with which one of these is better? I see the Evolution claims 100HP and 235TQ and the Attitude claims 100HP and 200TQ, but the attitude is $300 dollars more then the Evo. Why is that? I was reading up on the Evo and it seems to have the most options. I was waiting for Banks to hurry up and make something for the LBZ but im tired of waiting, this evolution looks like the best programmer for the LBZ so far. Any thoughts?

Anthony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB LBZ/6 Speed
305 70R/16 tires on Eagle 16x10 rims
Chrome wire mesh grille
Alpine Stereo, Navigation, and flip down rear screen
Autometer Cobalt gauges
pics of my truck -http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12647120&uid=2685617&members=1

Kennedy
01-31-2007, 08:28
The J/A has gauge function and a lot more hardware to it. The Evo is simpler software based programming. My present line of thought is that the software based units are a better bet as there's less to go wrong. Time will tell how the durability shakes out on the Evolution's Attitude like hardware, but it's far less critical to vehicle operation and in a better environment than the Juice.

Petrella
01-31-2007, 22:17
On the Edge website it states that the evo has many different gauge options as well:
The Evolution allows the user to view up to 4 PIDs at one time. There are 24 different PIDs to choose from. Below is a list and description of each:
• RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) – Engine speed.
• MPH (Miles Per Hour) – Note: Dash display may be +/-3 MPH off from the digital display due to mechanical differences in the spring, etc. used to control the gauge.
• ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) – Degrees F.
• LOAD (Engine Load) – Calculated engine Load
• GEAR (Current Gear) – Current gear.
• TFT (Trans Fluid Temperature) – Degrees F.
• BST (Boost Press) – PSI
• MAF (Mass Air Flow) – Grams Per Second
• IAT (Intake Air Temperature in manifold) – Degrees F.
• DFRP (Desired Fuel Rail Pressure) - PSI
• AFRP (Actual Fuel Rail Pressure) - PSI
• OSS (Output Shaft Speed) - RPM
• MAP (Manifold absolute Pressure) - kPa
• MIT (Main Injection Timing) - Degrees
• TQ (Engine Torque) – ft/lbs
• BAT (Battery voltage) - Volts
• CFR (Calculated Fuel Rate) – mm3
• VPOS (Turbo Vane Position) - %
• APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) - %
• IATT (Intake Air Temperature in intake tube) – Degrees F
• BARO (Barometric Pressure) - kPa
• FTMP (Fuel Temperature) - Degrees F
• DIDL (Desired Idle) - RPM
• EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) – Degrees F

So what i understand, you plug the evo into the diagnostic plug under the dash, you can get up to 100hp and 235TQ, and gauge all of the options above choosing your choice of 4 at a time?

Kennedy
02-01-2007, 15:45
Yes, but add one step. After you plug in, you need to select and download the tune.

Petrella
02-01-2007, 16:53
Ahh I see, so im assuming 100HP and 235TQ isnt safe with a stock transmission?

Kennedy
02-02-2007, 19:16
I'll have to look at the dyno charts from my testing again. The peak HP gain is only about 70HP IIRC.

FBJR
03-02-2007, 22:26
I installed the Evo last night and it was a breeze. Already had a thermo tap in and the hardest part was removing the old Recon system.

What they advertize and what it shows for power are a little diff though. About 1/2-2/3 the stated HP gains for the LBZ, the LLY gets more.

I do like the display and it seems user friendly :D

FBJR
03-12-2007, 13:18
I have run this now for a couple weeks and have a little feedback.

I have gotten a couple of "non-loading" or "tuner locked" messages, but it has always reset and worked fine. No trouble codes ever set. I am also running a full 4 inch exhaust too (downpipe back). Online updates were easy.

I love the ease of the gauge changes and the display. I like seeing how much fuel it uses at what speeds. It allows me to adjust my freeway speed for the the best MPG during diff conditions.

Was not impressed with the low HP gains on the LBZ (LLY shaow more gains)in economy setting which was not in the adds. Plus the MPG gains were nill.

Went to the Tow/Performance tune for the last week and can really feel the diff. Plus I am seeing a MPG gain of around 2 from the economy setting. It does seem to get higher EGT than I expected and easily goes over 1300 with mid peddle acceleration which concerns me. I have not really pushed it yet with higher EGTs in mind.

I would like to see an EGR code blocker option for it though if EDGE is listening ;)

JMHO

FBJR
03-29-2007, 22:45
A little update the Evolution. I installed the level 3 tune today, WOW. I could feel it before I left the parking lot :D

Much faster spoolup, snappy feel and mileage still seems as good as #2.

Only thing is the EGT. They are getting higher than I would like to see even on level 2. I am seeing 1300-1400 on just mild hills running empty :(

Edge says to up the Warning to 1450, but not sure about that yet.

I see a few posts on max EGT for the LBZ, but nothing solid or to much to read with my search!!!

What is the max sustained EGT on the LBZ?? I have a 4 inch downpipe back MPRB is all with an AFE air filter only.

Will an EGR help lower this alot?

THX