PDA

View Full Version : New Japanese Diesels?

Stlheadake
01-31-2007, 07:17
I 'just' read rumors about both Nissan and Toyota working towards producing a diesel truck. All the reports state that they are both a long way out. Any one heard anything else about these?

I wonder if these new engines will be for their 'half-ton' trucks, or are they pushing for a medium duty P/U? I can't imagine seeing a Toyota Tundra dually coming down the road. That'd be pretty weird!

It seems that the diesel market is definitely coming into it's own!

maverick_935
01-31-2007, 08:57
New japanese diesels??

Toyota has been building diesels for a long time. The overseas markets have lots.

The "Hino" truck here in North America has a really good Toyota Diesel inline 6 or inline 4, both are intercooled turbo's and very reliable.

Look under the hood of one of these trucks and you will find a "Toyota" tag on the block.

DieselMonk
01-31-2007, 14:18
yep... in europe you can even get a Cadillac diesel if you want. :D

baker2acre
01-31-2007, 15:30
I think Toyota would more likely be the one to bring a Diesel "Sate-Side" but I don't see Nissan being that adventurous... yet! Toyota's making a real effort to compete with the big 3 with the the New Tundra and it's bigger V8.... 401lb/ft in a gasser... not bad! .... and it's heavy marketing of all it's rough and tough components. A medium duty diesel would be a good next step for them to solidify their seat. ;)

Nissan made a big charge with the Titan, but I still don't see them set up yet to compete in the truck market... with a diesel. Nissan and Renault have teamed up in the diesel design department but have only been sharing small displacement engines in there respective fleets. Notably a 2.0L common-rail 4 cyl. TD. I would suspect Nissan to venture into the small Crossover market or an SUV 1st. :rolleyes:

A niche market for either Nissan or Toyota would be to introduce a diesel into their Tacoma or Frontier. Toyota's banked on their reputation of reliability and fuel economy for years along with Nissan.... A mid-size 4X4 pickup with 200HP and 350lb/ft while sipping the #2.... Sweet!!! :D

Let's cross our fingers!!!

Stlheadake
01-31-2007, 17:24
I am aware of the diesel market in Europe and Japan, but I have to admit, I was surprised at them even trying over here! I'd love to see a smaller version in a light duty application, I think they could really find a niche.

The information I read (and believe me as soon as I can find where I read it, I'll post it) led me to believe that both manufacturers were wanting to challenge the medium duty market.

Could you imagine a Tundra or Titan diesel getting 25mpg ROUTINELY while hauling the kids bikes back and forth from the trails? I'd bet they couldn't make 'em fast enough!

Like I mentioned earlier, I was really struck by the mental image of a dually Tundra or Titan. Wait, now that I think of it, isn't it a Toyota truck that U-haul uses in their fleet. The small box WITH duallys? I don't think it is a diesel, but I suppose they only have to grow it!

We'll just have to see!

winemaker
01-31-2007, 22:13
I have owned both a Toyota and a Nissan Diesel. The Toy was a 1980 landcruiser BJ40 (FJ=gas, BJ=diesel) with a 3L 4 cyl NA and the Nissan was a 1985 extracab 2wd pickup with (I think) a 2.4L NA. Both were awesome! I could run them on empty for 2 days! I wouldn't win a race in either of them, but they sparked my love for diesels. The 5 spd Nissan would do 125 kmh on the freeway comfortably but the cruiser, a 4spd, would only do 95 or 100.
I understand the diesel cruisers were never offered to the American market, just the Canadian market (on this side of the drink, that is), but I never heard one way or the other about Nissan. Toyota also offered a 2.4L TD in the small truck in the mid 80's for a year or 2.
I also heard they were planning a diesel for the Tundra, but I never heard anything else on the matter. I can't nearly afford a new truck anyway, but the thought of a full-size Toyota with a diesel makes my heart go pitter-pat.
I have a Mitsubishi Pajero with a 2.5L intercooled TD en route from Japan right now. It arrives Feb 10 and I can't wait to see what it's like!
How about an older Cruiser with a Duramax stuffed in 'er?! Woohooo!

baker2acre
02-01-2007, 10:25
I believe Nissan did offer a diesel in their compact pickup in the U.S. back in the early '80s? Maybe it was Datson then... either way it was short lived because of lack-luster performance. It was tolerated and evan liked following the "oil embargo" of the '70s, but it wasn't long before the economy strenghened and it's lack of room and "Glamour and Glits" out wieghed it's sensible fuel economy.:rolleyes:

So here's a thought... we know that Nissan and Toyota respectively can each build a good truck. But lets say they do decide to introduce a medium duty diesel to the herd.... would it be any good?? Now I know both Nissan and Toyota have some good mid-size diesels out there working hard every day in their cab-overs and such.... but I think they've used the same engine for years.... plus, they'd have to undergo some extensive updating for the new emissions standards looming in 2010. :eek:

So after all of the new engine designing, emission technologies and power upgrades.... would theirs be any better?? More power, more fuel economy, more refinement (quiet, smooth, clean, oderless, etc.)?? I guess I mean, would they be any different or just a Japanese clone?

trbankii
02-01-2007, 11:09
I've been hearing rumors of a diesel in the Tundra in the next two or three years. The last I was in at the dealer the guy pretty much said that you'd see it soon.

baker2acre
02-01-2007, 12:06
I wander if toyota will use the 6 speed auto it's using with 5.7L gas V8?? Could be a big selling point for towing!

Subzilla
02-01-2007, 13:33
Yes, in the early 80's, Datsun/Nissan had a 4 cyl diesel in their trucks, a 6cyl diesel in their 810's (later Maxima) and I think the 210 (Sentra) even had one for a year. I worked at a Datsun dealer '82 to '85 and the mechanics hated these things just because they were unfamiliar with them. And they started dropping the Datsun name around '85ish. I loved my 1978 Datsun 510 for the 20 years I had it. Darn lady cut across 3 lanes and I t-boned her Maxima at about 45 mph. Totaled mine.

Tough Guy
02-01-2007, 22:52
Maybe Nissan or Toyota will pick up the Navistar MaxxForce5 4.5L V-6 TT Diesel that Ford passed on...

That would be a sweet set-up....200hp and 440TQ.

Chris

baker2acre
02-02-2007, 06:40
I agree toughguy.... a 1/2 ton with just plain guts would be sweet:D ... throw in at least a 5sp auto to keep the rpm flux to a minimum... wow!!! I bet Toyota's 6sp would help get mpg's up into the mid-20's... evan tastier!!!:D :D Heck, if the new Silverado can claim 22mpg's... I want my "30% better fuel economy" all the brochures sell:mad: ... that should put us closer to 30mpg!!;)

baker2acre
02-02-2007, 08:02
Well... it seems I was wrong.:o

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070202/BUSINESS01/702020376/1014

The last line states Nissan's hoping to have a diesel by 2010... I guess I'd still be half right if Toyota were to ship one in say '09!;)

Until then... Nissan I appologize for underestimating your good sense!!

ThumperTDC
02-02-2007, 11:52
I heard two rumors last year about toyota anyway. They were planning on making a diesel truck to rival the Superduty. The second one was they were going to use the duramax to do this. I can believe the first one I heard, but not so sure about the second. If Toyota does come out with a diesel truck to rival the one tons and has the same reliability as their current models, that should be one hellofa truck.

baker2acre
02-02-2007, 13:54
I agree... if Toyota were able to just be competetive, they don't have to win the pull-off just not get eat'n... they'll have a very good product. Reliability has been a thorn for all 3 of Detroits trucks, even Cummins with their +18yrs of experience with Dodge and their vast reputation has had reliability issues at one time or another. If Toyota or Nissan or any other of the "big 3" master this part of the equation they'll have a leg-up on the rest. Proof of it's importance: Reportedly since 2003.... yes 2003! Ford has invested over 10,000,000 miles of testing in the developement of their new 6.4l TD. That's 2.5 million/year!! or 100 laps/year around the Earth!! or 1 truck @ a constant speed of 65mph... that would be over 17 years of none stop driving!!!:eek:

About the Duramax in a Toyota.... I've heard snipetts about Isuzu being employed but yet to hear Duramax exlpicitly. I have seen numorous notes that Hino may get the nod being owned by Parent company Toyota and already manufacturing mid-heavy duty engines.:confused: