PDA

View Full Version : Smoking problem?

EVIL X
01-31-2007, 10:52
I am the proud owner of a 2002 2500HD Duramax LB7 with 50k mi.. A lesson was learned in regard to fuel additives. Jan.'05 fuel filter gelled due to extreme low temps. Truck was in my driveway! Jan.'06 fuel filter gelled again due to extreme low temps. Towing charge 2 mi. to my house, $77. I now use Power Service regularly year round at a ratio of 1oz. to 1gal. The extra cost is more than offset by increased fuel mileage. Now on to the real reason I'm posting. On Jan.30'07 I topped off my 34gal. fuel tank with 14gal. of ULSD min. cetane 42. About 1 mi. later as I stopped at a red light my D-max started to run slightly off idle and smoked excessively. This was repeated again at the next light 1/2mi. away. By the time I had reached the third light to stop, the problem seemed to disappear and hasn't done it since. Has anyone has had this occur ? Any input would greatly appreciated.

Mark Rinker
01-31-2007, 11:18
Sounds like you may have an injector hanging up. I'd double up on the fuel treatment for the next few tanks, change the filter, and monitor the oil level.

Excessive smoke at idle is almost always the indicator of injector problems/failure don't let it go on before addressing the problem if it continues.

How often are you changing fuel filters?

EVIL X
02-15-2007, 17:39
Turns out it was a plugged water separator/fuel filter. the GM spec. says the vacuum should be at 3 in., found it to be 8 in. causing intermittent release of fuel to the injectors. At this time the engine would not rev above 1600rpm, in turn not allowing the trans. to shift. It was plugged with water/fuel that gelled .This the third Feb. this has happened. I started using the PS after the Feb. '06 incident. Since it wasn't an injector problem, what can I do when temps. fall below 0deg.? I use the block heater when the temp. is below 15deg. and always use PS.