PDA

View Full Version : Quicker boost for the street

gofastpilot
03-27-2005, 06:54
I have a 1997 TD 5spd K2500 Ext SB w/153000 that runs real well. Last summer I installed 4" exhaust which seemed to make the engine more responsive. I dont tow anything and do an occasional pull. How can I get more boost without spending a whole lot of dollars. This summer I want to try propane too.............gofastpilot

ace58
03-27-2005, 09:48
An intercooler will keep the computer from dumping boost due to high intake temperatures, however they don't come cheap.

patrick m.
03-27-2005, 13:53
get a "re-flashed" computer, and add a boost controller.

i believe the 97 came with the GM-8, you can get good power out of it.

you will have to have an intercooler.

and nothing comes before guages

markrinker
03-28-2005, 04:59
The generally accepted order of modifications to avoid problems associated with high EGTs is:

1) Open up intake and exhaust (let it breathe)
2) Gauges (Boost/EGT relationship)
3) Chip or reflashed computer(more fuel, please)
4) TurboMaster or Boost fooler (more air to burn more fuel)
5) Intercooling or chemical intercooling (cool the fuel/air charge)

Propane falls under the catagory of chemical intercooling. It both cools the intake charge, and acts as a catlyst to burn extra fuel. Unless you were already overfueled, the propane alone wouldn't have much of an effect.

[ 03-28-2005, 04:57 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

gofastpilot
03-28-2005, 06:51
OK guys thanks for the info. I do believe I am getting plenty of fuel because I get the normal(normal to me)puff of smoke when I let out the clutch from a dead stop and also when I'm going at freeway speeds say 70 mph and mash the throttle I'll throw more smoke than a Mack truck. So I'm thinking I need more air/boost. What kind of boost controller works best? I dont think there is a performance chip in my ECM/computer. I am running the original injectors w/150000 plus miles on them......gofastpilot

patrick m.
03-28-2005, 16:28
SINCE YOU HAVE A 97 model, you dont have a "chip".
your computer is programmable. so you will need to purchase a computer that has a performance program in it.

but i would save that for near last.

turbovair
03-30-2005, 09:55
How does the computer recognize high intake temps and begin defueling? Where is the temp sensor?

Turbine Doc
03-30-2005, 15:13
On upper intake plenum 2 sensors. black rectangle is MAP/Boost and taller black conn brass body is IAT.

PCM tries to pull boost before fuel unless fooled, or turbomastered to where it can't control boost;

Then if on high IAT or other sensor out of range condition ie very hi boost pressure and no response/reaction from dump boost command, it defuels.

Govt issue
03-31-2005, 07:22
It sounds like you might have a problem? When you go wot you should see very little black smoke, in stock trim. mine was filling up the road with smoke until I replaced the wastegate sol. It pulled much beter with the new one. It checked good, with a vac guage in line while driving. Sence it is pulse width modulated I think it was working too slow. Just a thought.

Govt issue
03-31-2005, 07:24
It sounds like you might have a problem? When you go wot you should see very little black smoke, in stock trim. mine was filling up the road with smoke until I replaced the wastegate sol. It pulled much beter with the new one. It checked good, with a vac guage in line while driving. Sence it is pulse width modulated I think it was working too slow. Just a thought. smile.gif

gofastpilot
04-03-2005, 15:17
I had the boost solenoid go out on me a couple of years ago. I was pulling about 10000 lbs of boat and trailer. After replacing the solenoid the engine would only smoke momentarily after each shift. Can the solenoid be toast after only 2 years.I should check my vacuum pump before I condem the solenoid I guess.............gofastpilot