PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for using WD40 as starting fluid

cwlehner
01-31-2007, 14:22
Just wondering. My truck has been a hard start lately with the colder Michigan temps. I've checked all of the glow plugs (Kennedy quick heats, all < 1.5 OHMs), gp connectors, re-did the battery connections and cleaned the starter connection. Last night she almost left me stranded, but I finally got it started with jumper cables and a quick squirt of wd40... Is this generally considered OK, or should I avoid it? Any directions on the proper use of it?? I have a turbo too, should I try to get it in post turbo???

The other thing that might be part of my starting problem is that my (-) battery cable had been rubbing up against the alternator blades. It had worn about half away and I had re-positioned it and covered it with electrical tape, then forgot about it... Last night while I was cranking i noticed that the area worn away was warm. I have added another ground on that battery and she seemed to crank a little faster. It has always cranked very fast when hot and fairly slow when cold. Could that be related to the bad cable??

You all are awesome, Thanks for the help!

BTW, I usually get about 45 seconds of cranking (non-gear reduction) before it drains the battery (both 875 CCA, 2 years old). Is this normal?

john8662
01-31-2007, 22:09
Sounds like you've got some battery connection issues.

Have you done the "Dr. Lee" Battery terminal mod?

Good grounds on the block to the batteries is a must for good cranking.

I'd recommend renewing all connections on the batteries and the grounds.

The 45 seconds of cranking doesn't sound too good.

The starter (and connections) sound suspect, not getting good cranking speed. A dragging starter will still work, but not crank at it's best and will drag down batteries. Suggest testing it out at a local reputable alternator/starter shop.

Slow cranking speed will translate to poor starting.

If the WD40 gets it going, you're not going to hurt it. Pre turbo only into the air cleaner (what you're doing). Remember, just for emergencies.

J

cwlehner
02-01-2007, 14:58
I've done the battery terminal mod and cleaned all of the connectors. I haven't tried cold starting it without the block heater after fixing everything, but she cranks fasterwith the extra ground wire and clean connections.

Back to the WD40. I would give it a quick squirt and then run around and try to start it.. How much should I give it? A steady stream while someone else is cranking, or just a quick squirt?

Also what is the recommended CCA for the batteries? Mine are 875 CCA and am wondering if that is enough for a michigan winter.

nedfunnell
02-02-2007, 20:22
I've done the battery terminal mod and cleaned all of the connectors. I haven't tried cold starting it without the block heater after fixing everything, but she cranks fasterwith the extra ground wire and clean connections.

Back to the WD40. I would give it a quick squirt and then run around and try to start it.. How much should I give it? A steady stream while someone else is cranking, or just a quick squirt?

Also what is the recommended CCA for the batteries? Mine are 875 CCA and am wondering if that is enough for a michigan winter.

A friend of mine from Michigan once told me that putting your headlights on for a minute or two before starting can help. He told me it was because drawing that current helps warm up the batteries.

DmaxMaverick
02-02-2007, 20:37
A friend of mine from Michigan once told me that putting your headlights on for a minute or two before starting can help. He told me it was because drawing that current helps warm up the batteries.

Never heard that one before.

If cranking on it doesn't warm up the batteries, the headlights won't change anything unless the batteries are mounted in front of them. Besides, you may need that juice for glowing/starting.

If the extra ground improves starting, keep it. Nothing wrong with extra grounding.

ZZ
02-10-2007, 18:16
Isn't the WD40 made today not flammable as it used to be? I remember in the old days you could spray it over a lighter and make a flame thrower.

Maxxman23
02-10-2007, 21:07
The guy at the local diesel shop said to be sure to use somthing with plenty of lubricity (ie. WD-40) and to spray it in the air cleaner with the glow plugs off then jump in let it glow and let it rip.

p.s. I don't know if WD-40 is flammable but the aerosol sure is. I think that is where the flame thrower effect comes from.