PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wipers?

MicroRacer
10-12-2003, 08:33
Ok, I'm finally getting my truck going after getting the right side off in water. My only problem I have left is that my windshield wipers has not worked since my off road excursion. I really didn't think that the windshield wiper motor was in water, but it sure doesn't work. I have electrically checked the motor, but I don't have a wiring diagram. Anybody know how the wiper motor is wired

I really appreciate the help that I have received off of this board. It has been a great help.

jimcreek
10-12-2003, 15:56
MY 1995 GMC 3500HD HAS A FACTORY RECALL ON WIPERS MIGHT WANT TO LOOK INTO IT. IF YOURS WIPER MOTOR IS LIKE MINE ALL THAT IS REQUIRED IS TO REMOVE BACK OF WIPER MOTOR WHILE IN PLACE REMOVE WIRE HARNESS AND REMOVE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD CLEAN CONTACTS.

tom.mcinerney
10-12-2003, 18:00
And on lots the solder fastening the connector terminals to the board cracked ; can reheat/remelt solder on board to fuse cracks.

MicroRacer
10-13-2003, 05:47
Thanks, I will try that before I go to the bone yard.

Bill

StephenA
10-13-2003, 07:29
I've popped the board out of several of these units & resoldered the connector pads & they always work after that...

Dewey Faircloth
10-14-2003, 13:10
Originally posted by MicroRacer:
Thanks, I will try that before I go to the bone yard.

Bill Put a ground wire under a screw on wiper motor
box and put other end to ground easy fix.

charliepeterson
10-14-2003, 18:45
Almost every GM truck between '94 and 2000 has these wiper board problems. GM has a Major campaign going on now to fix the problem. You can do it yourself by resoldering the five contact points from the plug to the board. If you look under a magnifying glass you will see small rings around the solder connections.

bnmccoy
10-15-2003, 03:17
MicroRacer:

I made the solder joint repair over a year and a half ago and it took care of my problem.

Earlier this year I apparently got water into the wiper circuit board at the carwash; cleaning PS fluid from the ultra reliable hydro-boost leaking all over the place.....

My wipers then started 'not shutting off' I think the water screwed up the park circuit relay or electronics on the board as cleaning, etc. didn't fix. So I took advantage of the recall campaign and let GM put me in a new board to solve my problem.

As previously suggested, check the solder joints on the PC board for the big connector to the wiper motor. Simply unplug the connector first, remove the black plastic cover, gently pull the board straight out as it is plugged in on the blind side of the board. Look closely at the upper left solder connections for the wiring connector.

Good luck.

Bob