PDA

View Full Version : FSD cooler really needed?

simon
01-31-2007, 22:44
There has been plenty of dialog been done about the SFD lately included the controversial SOL-D.
I had a interesting experiance today , I had recently bought a 98 truck with a blown 6.5 TD, [ block cracked]. As I was working on a other 6.5 to change a bad FSD and at the same time exchange the EGR intake with the non EGR intake manifold of the blown engine, I figured I may as wel salvage the FSD from that engine too. This engine has 253000 original KM, The former owner told me The engine had never be worked on sinds new, and always ran OK till it grenaded.
Anyway I found the two bottom screws that hold the FSD to the pump where missing and laid underneath the pump, both top screws where loose but shrunk in the plastic so they could not rattle out any further ,the gasket in between was in shreds. It also had the plastic engine cover still in place.
As far as I am concerned the cooling of this FSD must have been somewhat lacking to say the least , but it is still working fine. Is this a fluke or is the cooling less important than many believe it to be? Is it more electrical failure?

I also figured that I may as wel relocate the FSD to a cooler spot anyway as it is a hassle to exchange it when failed.

I was thinking of mounting it in the airfilter cover close to or inside the elbow to the turbo as it will have plenty of cool air rushing past when ever the engine is running, would that generate enough cooling for the FSD without bolting it to a heatsink ? I also think that the cost of the heatsink [$190 cdn ] and the wiring harnass extension [ $157 cdn] is somewhat excessive in my eyes.

As I was looking to buy a spare FSD, who has the best price? here in canada they run from $430 cdn to over $700 cdn .

Any and all replies apriciated

a5150nut
02-01-2007, 00:02
You can extend your existing harnes. Match the wire size, solder the connections and use heat shrink to seal them. Mines been working fine for 3 1/2 years now. I mounted mine in front of the drivers side battery right behind an opening in the sheet metal. One hole was already in the upright and tapped.

Artworks
02-01-2007, 06:59
Go to Kennedy's , ( or DSG) site, FSD, cooler and extension harness for less $ than the FSD at GM dealers 'up here' in the great white North. Mounted mine behind drivers side battery as shown on Kennedy site.

JohnC
02-01-2007, 13:40
I was thinking of mounting it in the airfilter cover close to or inside the elbow to the turbo as it will have plenty of cool air rushing past when ever the engine is running, would that generate enough cooling for the FSD without bolting it to a heatsink ?

The FSD is designed to transfer heat through a mechanical connection to another device, i.e. the pump body. the pump body is cooled by excess fuel. If you relocate the FSD you have to provide a device to carry the heat away.

Also, I would be very cautious about mounting anything on the turbo side of the air filter. If it got loose the consequences would be undesireable, to say the least...

Iain
02-01-2007, 19:47
Since you are in Alberta (not sure where), the last one that I bought was from G C L Fuel Systems Inc - 403-279-2368, 4300 116 Avenue SE, Calgary, AB T2Z 3Z9. DSG in Saskatoon is good too and I believe they just opened an office in Red Deer.

Iain