PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy

usedcarr
02-03-2007, 01:31
Hi there. First off as a long time lurker let me say thanks for all the information you all have given me here. I have been looking for a while at buying a diesel suburban for a while now and have had little luck finding one until yesterday. Now I need your advice. The rig I found practically in my backyard is an 85 with the 6.2 and I think the th400 trans. He claims 135,000 miles on engine and tranny. 6" Rancho lift, alcoa rims and BFG mud terrains that are pretty much brand new. The undercarriage was bone dry, the engine was clean. It drove real well and stopped well. There was some rust under the rear windows bubbling at the rubber, otherwise pretty rust free. The coolant was low, but clean and all the other fluids checked out.

Sounds ideal right? But it looked like it had had a recent Earl Scheib paint job and the guy selling it owns a car detail place so I am afraid he just prettied her up and may be hiding something, he seems pretty shifty. Like a real slick used car sales guy. And he seems firm on 7500 bucks, is that just way too high or is that expected if the truck is really clean. It really boils down to the truck seems too clean and I don't get a real good vibe from the seller, but I would hate to miss on a truck that is actually a good truck.

What do you pros think? Sorry if this is a redundant post topic, I tried to search for buying tips and could not find anything relevant. Anyone out west have a truck they want to sell?

Thanks, Dave

twaddle
02-03-2007, 02:28
Hi there,
If the truck seems ok mechanically (have you removed the engine oil filler cap to check back pressure?), it may be a good genuine buy.
The only other major problem to check for is serious corrosion.
Take a small magnet with you and put it against areas likely to be damaged by corrosion, you will notice that on areas with plastic body filler the magnetic pull is less than clean metal areas.
Also use your eye to look along the line of body panels, you're looking for any ripples, funny shapes or rough areas that haven't been sanded properly.
Have a look underneath behind the lower panels.

Is the asking price higher than other trucks of a similar age?

Then as a last resort, just go by your gut feeling, another "Nice truck" will turn up later if you walk away.

Good luck and put up some pictures of the truck if you buy it.

Jim
Biggar, Scotland

redbird2
02-03-2007, 09:42
I would have to agree twaddle on those points and if you feel uneasy about a deal walk away I have done that before to only find out 6 months down the road I did the right thing, When the truck showed up at my shop to find a noise that turned out to cost the guy several thousand to fix. I have also back out on good deals to but keep looking there are other good Suburans out there for that money.

Look up under the body real close look for rust or corrision starting check the exhaust system hangers if they are total eat up that tell you been around a lot of salt or not keep clean.

as for the engine look down around the fuel pump take a mirror and look around the bottom of the pump, under the intake to see if you see oil or fuel hiding those are places you can't clean real well with pressure washer, if he will allow it take to your mechanic and have it checked out might cost you $100-150 but better now than 7k for new engine next month have him do compression test on the engine.

if uneasy walk away

Good Luck

arveetek
02-03-2007, 12:48
My advice would be to run away! $7500 is way, WAY too much for an '85 Suburban, unless it was in factory mint condition and the seller could prove it's authenticity. From the description you gave, you should be able to pick that kind of vehicle for under $4000, even with the lift kit and wheel/tire combo. How much did Robyn pay for her '91 Sub that sounds about the same??

For $7500, you could buy a much later model 6.5L Suburban that's a lot more comfortable to drive.

Good luck!

Casey

Craig M
02-03-2007, 21:41
I agree with other posts that $7500 is way to high. There was a similar diesel suburban sold in Washigton for $2000.

usedcarr
02-04-2007, 16:29
I think I'll pass after hearing from you guys, thanks for the info. let me know if you hear of any good 'burbs or even a 6.5 powered van.

bigeasy
02-09-2007, 04:57
Your welcome ;)
That price was way to high 4 grand would still take some thinking about.
Keep your eye on fleabay. Look in the military section there also.
Good luck.

N9Phil
02-11-2007, 08:06
Dave I agree with the consensus that the price is to high. I would suggest that you check the blue book price and go from there. For that kind of money you should be able to find a real nice turbo diesel in the mid to late 90's. I would get the vin number off the vehicle and have a dealer run it through the computor then they will give you a list of everything that was done on that vehicle at the dealers. Keep checking the classifieds on this site and E-Bay. I bought two 95's,one listed on each place and have been very happy with them. Give it a little time and don't rush your self and you will find a great deal.

Another thing, if you check around the edges of the windows,trim pieces and door seals you will be able see if the car has been repainted. These are areas where they tape when painting and when they remove the tape there is a paint edge. By the way you describe the car, I would be willing to bet that they did what is known in the trades as a Quick Slick paint job. (cover up the rust and blemishes)

Good luck in your Quest to go Diesel

N9Phil

usedcarr
02-12-2007, 21:34
Thanks a buch for all the advice. I took a pass on the truck, I think the guy got the 7500 from another buyer though. Hope whoever bought it didn't get ripped off. Thanks again. Dave

wallew
02-14-2007, 17:46
Dave,
Here ya go. Idaho Motor Pool (http://www.idahomotorpool.com/)

Scroll down a little from the top and you will find:

A 1990 Chevy Van 6.2L diesel with 34k miles. Granted it's in Boise, Idaho but it's only $3400. It looks really clean. The Idaho Motor Pool normally sells retired/used military vehicles. This could easily be a used government vehicle. I don't know if that's good or bad. But at least it ain't $7500! And you could do what I did and purchase a spare 6.2L for $500 at the same time. You would still have only $3900 and have TWO 6.2L engines, now that's not too shabby a deal.

When EVER I purchase a vehicle out of state, I always have the owner take it to a local dealer. I pay the dealer to do the 'pre-purchase' inspection. For about $150 you can get a really clear picture of the vehicle you are purchasing.

The ONE time I didn't do it, the vehicle eventually turned out OK, but it took lots of $$ to correct the problems that I was unaware of before I purchased it.

Just as an aside, I have recently purchased a 1985 M1009 Blazer with an M101 (3/4ton) trailer for $5k.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=234&stc=1&d=1171501313

usedcarr
02-15-2007, 02:47
I checked that link out, there IS a cool van with low miles on it for under 4 grand. I could fly up, visit my wifes family in Montana and drive it home! Thanks for the tip!