PDA

View Full Version : my first serious problem??? Any ideas??

Shed
02-04-2007, 08:55
What I think could be my first "real" problem with my first ever diesel.

Very cold here in Iowa right now, temp over night was -12F. Truck was plugged in, started the truck and idled for 15-20 mins. Started out towards highway, slow and easy because the tranny is still real cold. Getting on the on ramp, give her the fuel and she bogs down. I immeiately go off the pedal and she "came back" and seemed o.k. Got back on the pedal and it happend again, finally 3 rd time and the check engine light comes on and truck shuts down. Pull off to shoulder and shut her all the way down, she starts back up. I try it again and same problem. Luckily there is a rest area 1/8 mile away, limp her into it never being able to rev above 1500 rpm. She sat idling for a few minutes, would rev just fine while parked and in neutral, but the second she tried to moved she bogged again. So now she is sitting at the rest area and I'm at work. Figured I'd have her towed into the my dealer unless you guys have any other ideas/possible quick fixes. $ are tight with my large family, so was hoping you guys have something to get me started in the right direction.
Background on truck: 2001 2500hd ext. cab 4x4/allison
Airaid intake
4" magna flow
Amsoil synthetic
24 gals diesel from local casey's store 3 days ago
cold weather additive from amsoil added with fuel
72,000 miles (bought at 66,000)
previous overboost prob. that will be getting fixed in
the spring (kennedy custom program).

Thinking she may have jelled up? Maybe the dreaded injector problem coming to light in the cold air? Filters and cold working together to cause problems?

Thanks for any advice I really need anything you can give me! Shed:confused: :(

More Power
02-04-2007, 09:35
Sounds like gelled fuel... If so, the problem should go away in warmer temps.

Change the fuel filter, pour some fuel additive into your tank containing a cold weather treatment, and check the operation of the fuel heater in the fuel filter assy. The fuel filter assy has a heater that is supposed to activate whenever the fuel is at +20 degrees or colder. In theory, this heater is supposed to reduce the likelyhood of gelling when using fuel that is not adequately blended for cold temps.

Jim

Jake99Z71
02-04-2007, 09:51
The quickest fix for this problem is Power Service 911 (red bottle) pour this into the filter and the tank. I have used this first hand on gelled semi trucks. Good luck.

Kennedy
02-04-2007, 10:57
Fresh filter, FPPF Meltdown, and consistent use of a quality additive like FPPF Total Power would be my recommendation. You can also look to cut your present tank of fuel with 20% #1 fuel oil.

IF it manages to start, you may do well to just leave it idle for a bit and warm up underhood and in the tank. Keep the wind off it.

On my site under Dmax Parts/Tools you will find my lift pump psi/filter restriction gauge. Priceless in situations like this. I was in a IA rest area changing a plugged filter last winter myself. I knew in a matter of seconds that it was plugged when the gauge went off the scale on the vacuum end and should have read 7 psi+...

Shed
02-04-2007, 11:52
Gentlemen, Thank you! I like you suspect this old girl has gelled up on me. She is currently being towed to my work (big old HEATED fire station). I'm gonna thaw her out for awhile and see where that gets me. Filter definately needs changed after this I would guess? I'll do either way, it can't hurt! Again thank you for your opinions! Shed:)

Kennedy
02-04-2007, 12:03
Here's how to know for sure what is going on in the filter:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Dmax-fuel-filter-rest1.gif

hapaschold
02-06-2007, 11:39
my 2002 gmc dmax did the same thing, but when i took the filter out, clear fuel there, think problem was in the small cooling radiator on fuel return?

took all day to thaw with topedo heater at full blast and cardboard curtain around whole truck.

i dont buy fuel now from the local fuel oil dealer, i dont think he treated for low temp !

hess, mobile, thats it for me now and never had issues again.

Buck
02-07-2007, 12:51
Fresh filter, FPPF Meltdown, and consistent use of a quality additive like FPPF Total Power would be my recommendation. You can also look to cut your present tank of fuel with 20% #1 fuel oil.

IF it manages to start, you may do well to just leave it idle for a bit and warm up underhood and in the tank. Keep the wind off it.

On my site under Dmax Parts/Tools you will find my lift pump psi/filter restriction gauge. Priceless in situations like this. I was in a IA rest area changing a plugged filter last winter myself. I knew in a matter of seconds that it was plugged when the gauge went off the scale on the vacuum end and should have read 7 psi+...

My truck gelled last weekend. I used "penray winter thaw" from napa. I notice the first thing in it is kerosene. Talked to a trucker from Alberta this week, told me he used kerosene 1 gal to 10 gal of diesel. Can/should kerosene be used when it is below 0? If so at what ratio?

DieselMonk
02-07-2007, 18:31
Well... I am not sure about the kerosene/diesel fuel mix, but 1 to 10 sounds to me a bit low. I am leaning more to 30 to 50% kerosene rest #2. Problem with kerosene is that it doesn't have any lubrication for the fuel pump, so you would have to put some lubrication in the mix. You also could run 100% kerosene, but again... put a lot of lubrication in it for the fuel pump. In the olden days when diesel fuel gelled up, I added 2 liters of gas into the tank and that workes well to as the flashpoint is way lower.

JohnC
02-08-2007, 15:42
'Round here our pump fuel is cut 20% in early and late winter and 40% in the dead of winter. No problems with this mix down to sustained night time temps of -20*F.